Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's 1976 Yamaha RD 400

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just went back out to the shed and it seems to have a marginal improvement cleaning out the MC again. I will leave it really spongy and hope this is enough to stock it locking on. I will also try to keep off the rear brake as much as possible.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Decided to hit the track and see how it goes. Three sessions and rear brake hasn't locked on. Mind you i have tried to not use it hardly at all. I swapped out a pad and it seems to have made some difference. Pads are certainly looser. Can't work out why changing a single pad would help but it does seem to have. I thinking it might be ok to give some light touches on the rears and see what happens.
I decided after my first sess to drop down to the slow group as i was getting overtaken too much in the next group up. This group i am sitting around mid pace. Certainly helps when you're not there to set a speed record but rather just getting used to the bike again and figuring out what i need to change to make my ride easier. Plus being too slow endagers other riders, so yeah best i sit in the slow group.
I have worked out after years that i need to shorten the gear lever. My size 7.5 feet are struggling sometimes to pull it into gear. Thinking about setting the toe peice about 10-15mm further back.
I alao spoke to a member of the club and he has put me onto wemoto. They have caliper kits for $33 del. Unfortunately the rear MC kit is proving to be hard to find outside the States. Problem with US is the stupid freight costs to Tas for parts, 60 bucks for a 80g package.
Gonna hit the track once more today. I decided to give the session 20mins ago a miss. My bung hand is struggling and I'm hoping that with a 2hr rest i might get through the last session. It makes it hard to ride with a painful wrist and I'd like to push it a little more for my last few laps of the day.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah stock 76/77 caliper. Went great first two laps then my hand gave out. I was really starting to push it too. Came back and tyres were hottest they had been all day.
Some good news, the issue with locking on appears to have been the pad. Seems fine now and i dabbed on the rear brake at times too. Still need a seal kit for the caliper as it's been overheated. Plus the MC is weeping a tiny bit and has for years. But the MC kits have always been a bastard to get for the rear, front MC overhaul kit common as, rear nup, very hard to find. Gonna be an import for sure.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Good to you got out and had a win with the brakes.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah stock 76/77 caliper. Went great first two laps then my hand gave out. I was really starting to push it too. Came back and tyres were hottest they had been all day.
Some good news, the issue with locking on appears to have been the pad. Seems fine now and i dabbed on the rear brake at times too. Still need a seal kit for the caliper as it's been overheated. Plus the MC is weeping a tiny bit and has for years. But the MC kits have always been a bastard to get for the rear, front MC overhaul kit common as, rear nup, very hard to find. Gonna be an import for sure.
I'm gonna have a check at work to see if by chance I can get one of the kits for you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm gonna have a check at work to see if by chance I can get one of the kits for you.

Awesome, rear MC or caliper seal kit? WEMOTO have caliper kits for $33 inc freight. Best I can do so far on MC is $120 around $52 of that is freight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Last track day for the year, bike loaded and ready to go. Been keeping an eye on the weather. Sun is my best friend down here. I want hot tyres and the last few track days tyres have barely got warm. The other issue at Symmonds is wind. Morning wind is under 10kph, arvo 13kph. I want to get my corner speed up tomorrow. Hoping my hand doesn't cramp up, like it has each other time. I have some Nurefon in my bag and i will take them once in the morning and again after lunch. Hopefully i don't have to go home early.
20191207_184256.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Indeed.....good luck.

Keen for a report with cam vids !!

Also, bike looks very clean.....well done.