Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's house build 5 years in the making

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
New house block out 30 mins from Town has gone through. We are now in the process of having a house designed and the application submitted to council. Found out this process will take 6-7 months, so shed is unlikely to be built this year unless we get a miracle. Bummed because a shed close to Town this year would have been awesome. It is what it is, just means won't be putting the old house on the market until probably next year as I won't have anywhere to store my gear unless I buy two containers.

Make sure you keep an eye on this Govt cash splash.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks I will be keeping an eye on this. Looks like they may approve it for previous home owners as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Make sure you keep an eye on this Govt cash splash.
Looked into it and not sure if we will be able to access it in time. It only runs until the end of the year and it will be 6-8 months before we have building permits. Then we need finance approval and a contract signed all before the end of the year.
Only hope is we get approval by late October and can sign a contract by mid December. But it's a minimum six months for council to process application and because we need discretionary approval for the shed it can delay the approval process by up to another 8 weeks. Hopefully the Gov extends the program past 2020.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Looked into it and not sure if we will be able to access it in time. It only runs until the end of the year and it will be 6-8 months before we have building permits. Then we need finance approval and a contract signed all before the end of the year.
Only hope is we get approval by late October and can sign a contract by mid December. But it's a minimum six months for council to process application and because we need discretionary approval for the shed it can delay the approval process by up to another 8 weeks. Hopefully the Gov extends the program past 2020.

Now the details are out.....the whole thing is a furphy.

Building work must start within 3 months of signing the contract. lol.....no chance of that happening given council processes.

How can these fools be so out of touch with reality ? Or just typical LNP smoke & mirrors ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Now the details are out.....the whole thing is a furphy.

Building work must start within 3 months of signing the contract. lol.....no chance of that happening given council processes.

How can these fools be so out of touch with reality ? Or just typical LNP smoke & mirrors ?
I have to agree it's a total wank. Some councils across the country can take 12 months to process. To sign a contract and have it passed through council in three months is a joke. I wouldn't think that any council could provide permits in three months.? I mean it takes around three months from signing to have your drawings fully done, as in the initial stages they might be told to make changes by the engineer, or council might reject parts and tell the builder to alter this. The designer needs to send the basic drawings in to council for planning approval before they send them for engineering and do the final submit with full engineering drawings.
The Gov has no idea, they didn't research this at all. The only ones it will suit are those who are ready to pour the slab or will be ready fairly soon. I can't even tell if those who signed contracts six months ago and are ready to pour in the next month or two would be approved anyway, or if it only applies to new contracts signed from today until end December. If it's the latter then very few will be able to take advantage of it and it may only suit those renovating an existing home.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I can't even tell if those who signed contracts six months ago and are ready to pour in the next month or two would be approved anyway, or if it only applies to new contracts signed from today until end December.

My reading of it tells me it starts on July 4 and goes through to December 31. I haven't seen anything about it being retrospectively applied, which makes sense as the "aim" is to stimulate new activity, not activity that is already in the pipeline.

FWIW, my wife works for a new home builder. Their sales fell of a cliff a few months ago, leading to a pay cut for her, and there is now evidence that any customers that are interested in building aren't wanting to sign new contracts until July so they become "eligible" for the $25k. However given the 3 month requirement, unlikely they will be eligible at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
However given the 3 month requirement, unlikely they will be eligible at all.
Exactly I don't see it helping your wife's Co along with many others. As you, her and I know signing a contract and getting to start work on the build is a lot longer than three months. I have no idea who will even be eligible. I'm now thinking it will only be those doing non-structural reno, like a kitchen or bathroom remodel.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
like a kitchen or bathroom remodel.

With the minimum spend being $150k, they would be one bloody expensive kitchen or bathroom reno.

Not something a couple on less than (legit) $200k pa would be contemplating.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With the minimum spend being $150k, they would be one bloody expensive kitchen or bathroom reno.

Not something a couple on less than (legit) $200k pa would be contemplating.
Actually good point I forgot about that. Then the whole thing is a wank. Going to help very few indeed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So basically to me this whole grant scheme will only work for those who like the wife and I are, getting plans drawn up, but then have them approved by council by say mid November, which gives enough time to enlist a builder and arrange finance ready to commence by early to late Feb 2021.
However if you are having plans drawn up now, good luck signing a contract with a builder and finance approved by mid December when people are starting to shut down. What a balls up.....