Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New House Build

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
House slab went down today. I managed to get most of the storm water for the shed done over the last two days. I need more storm pipe but I don't have any timber to strap it too. However found out there is still no timber at Mitre 10 or Bunnings. If I don't strap it to a piece of timber it will slap around and dent the ute roof or scratch the paint.
I started building my monster shelves but run out of timber to support the MDF sheets.
I may have to put in an order and wait the eight weeks it takes for them to fill it.
View attachment 220080

How thick is the slab?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not sure as it's pods and slab. My guess is 100mm above the pods.
Normally the floor is 85mm thick reinforced with steel mesh while the ribs (and especially the top and bottom steel bars within the ribs) are what provides the slabs stiffening/torsional strength. The slabs edge/perimeter footing supports the exterior brick veneer wall.

If one needs more strength in a waffle pod slab, it’s the pod height and hence the rib height that is increase, along with the top and bottom rib bar diameter.

Reinforced 85mm floor is more than ample for residential.

It would all be specified on the engineering/footing plans :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They step down the brick footing, which I thought was odd. I'm sure all the houses I have seen built in SA they had no step in the slab.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
They step down the brick footing, which I thought was odd. I'm sure all the houses I have seen built in SA they had no step in the slab.
Thats normal in residential waffle slab construction to have a step down for the exterior brick veneer skin. It provides a barrier to (easy) water entry :p

Not sure why S.A. does/did it differently :rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why is an all concrete slab different?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why is an all concrete slab different?
Some residential builds use waffle pods as void formers (cheap and quick but environmentally questionable) and others use sand as void formers (environmentally friendly).

Commercial slabs are rather thicker and don’t use void formers. They also don’t normally use rebates that the concrete tilt panels sit in... why cause it’s easier to keep everything flat and it’s commercial, non habitable, so different rules apply.

Some houses use strip footings around the perimeter to support a brick veneer wall with bearers held up at intervals using concrete posts, joists layer on the bearers and a wooden strip floor layer on top... This costs much more than a cheap waffle slab :( I prefer old style off ground floors made of a nice hardwood :cool: but accept waffle slab cause cheap :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
According to the builder waffle and full concrete works out much the same as pods are not overly cheap. We were given the option as costs were much of a muchness. Pods apparently cost more but slab goes down quicker so save on labor.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I prefer old style off ground floors made of a nice hardwood

Our previous two homes were built this way (1952 built fibro cottage and 1969 built double brick) with Jarrah floors.

They certainly had a different feel under foot compared to our current 1980 built concrete slab double brick place.

However they lacked the thermal benefits of the slab.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Doors are on. They just need some adjustment on the roller doors. Last week or two I have been working on some big shelves for parts and other things. I have pretty much reached the height I can go on my own. I now need to either pay someone or find help elsewhere to hang the last three shelves.
20210321_142203_resized.jpg
20210321_142218_resized.jpg