Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New House Build

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, today we received the stamped plans from council, which gives us the go ahead to commence the build. I have spoken to the shed builder and I am hopeful he can get it done soon, as I did book it in early in the year. Ideally the shed will be up prior to the loan for the house being finalised. This is because I have spent a lot on the shed and without it erected I can't use that $30k as improvements or as part of the deposit for the house.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So been slower going than I would have liked. However my shed was delivered just before Christmas. Last week the shed builder got the shed site levelled and boxed up. He has given me two fairly wide strips on the centre bay that wil be about 200mm thick. This will be for the future hoist. Pouring was supposed to have occurred last Friday but it rained all day. However, I texted him tonight and the pour is now scheduled for 8am this Wednesday.
Not sure if I have enough to fully erect the shed now, as I got hit with a massive dentist bill and have another major appointment in two weeks time, plus we just got hit with Land Tax on the vacant block. Having said that I am pretty confident I still have enough to get the walls up, which in shed building is a stage where it can sit for a few weeks or months if needed, as the walls basically brace the building, even without a roof. I haven't let the builder know as I want to go as far as I can and not sure how he will feel about stopping work 3/4 of the way through. I could look at putting the perodontist off but it's a four month wait to get in and I need my teeth sorted as the longer I leave it the more I risk on doing more damage to my jaw bone. I may actually be able to get further than I expect but I just need to keep an eye on how many days the shed builder are on site. Slab I have an estimate and already have it in the bank ready to transfer. I'm thinking I probably have maybe three days labor for two builders, once I pay for the slab. Whereas I think the assembly will be around five days for two qualified blokes. I'm not bothered if I only get walls for now because I'm just excited to see it started. My other shed and house took five years, so I might just need to have the project completed a month or two after he gets the walls up.
On a really good note I got the evaluation on my other property and in 15 months it has gone up $40k, which is 25% increase in the bank evaluation. We had loan approval based on the old evaluation which means we are set even more in that regard as we now have a lot more security. Won't be borrowing any more funds though as I don't want to be a slave to my bank for any longer than I have too. What it does mean that if I wanted to sell my current home the buyer could actually borrow a lot more than they could have when it was worth a lot less. But at this stage I still want to hang on to it. Its a nice home and I've had a couple of friends from Church stay there for a getaway.
Once I get the slab down I will post up a pic, and then again once he gets underway with the erection.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
1611000428489.gif

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Assume you have strip footings around the perimeter but curious how deep they are?

(also agree with FU below)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Nice. How good is that slab. I’m standing back sipping a cup of tea looking at that. Marvellous stuff.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He done a nice job, the helicopter finish is brill. Only piers on the corners, and under each pillar but they are 450w x 900d. Some go strip footings, but it's not required nor needed. There is two 200mm deep x 1m wide strips in the centre all the way from front to back, to carry the hoist when it eventually goes in.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve always had a preference for reinforced strip footing just because, though mass pier footings are more than acceptable.

The reason I asked was that weight is needed to counter uplift from wind, where the mass is proportional to roof area. At an odd 430kgs per pier and the mass of the slab itself, I’m sure it would be more than fine in Tassi. In cyclone country, they may have higher standards = bigger footings (be they strip or pier).

I‘d love a big shed and wish I had the space to build a shed like yours :p