Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New House Build

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
View attachment 218445

Slab went down today on my 10.5m x 9m shed.
That's a good looking Slab.

Please don't make me wait too long for decent shed pictures!
Find the money and get it built!! (worry about wiring and drainage at a later date)

Disclaimer: I am a terrible builder, feel free to not listen to me.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's a good looking Slab.

Please don't make me wait too long for decent shed pictures!
Find the money and get it built!! (worry about wiring and drainage at a later date)

Disclaimer: I am a terrible builder, feel free to not listen to me.
He came back when I was there to wet the slab to help prevent cracking. I asked him when he expects to commence the build and he said should be next week. He also said the slab may come in under the estimate which might mean I have enough for at least one builder for a day. I just have to see how things go next week and if he works on it Mon, Wed and Thurs I should have enough for those three days. I just need to see what our finances look like come Wed and see what we have. If he works Mon and Wed and Thursday I will chat to him Wed and see if he wants bill me the shortfall or if he wants to work on another job and come back to my shed in a few weeks. I'd say I will have enough now to get it fully sheeted but the doors, gutters and flashings etc can take another two days. I might even know how much funds I have come Monday and then I might be able to talk to him that night and see how far he wants to go. I don't want him to be thinking he is there all week if I run short and at short notice needs to go to another job. I was hoping for the slab bill this eve as I could then work out my finances a bit better if I knew what I have going out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So did some juggling and I think I might have worked out enough to have two builders on site for four days next week, instead of three. I reckon I might be able to work it out so that the shed gets done to completion, less power, lights etc but the block has no power regardless so that won't really be an issue for a while. As for the electrical I will do most of that myself anyway and then just get the sparky in for a day to connect everything up, lights, power points and sub mains. I did that on my current shed and it worked out quite well. I can run all the cables put on all the mounting blocks and have the power points ready to be connected. I have almost a full roll of 2.5mm twin and earth and I can put the 1.5mm twin and earth on my Mitre 10 account. Conduit and mounting blocks and brackets are dirt cheap at Bunnings so I will grab a few bits from Bunnings in a month or two. The expensive thing will be the fluro's the new LED ones are the go but they are still on the high end cost wise and I will need six doubles.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Outdoors, I’ve used Nelson 2x28w T5 sealed slimline fluro’s because I hate cleaning bugs from within the housing. I fitted 2 of these units to light up 6mx6m area and it’s bright as. These lights have been outdoors for 10 years and still clean as a whistle. Back then there wasn’t any good selection of LED lights to choose from.

Not sure what the state of play is today but I’ve had a bad run with bayonet LED globes loosing light output or going yellow after a year or so. Maybe they are now better, maybe not, but about 6 months ago I was considering upgrading the lights in my garage and these lights sealed T5 fluorspar which were $68 @ Bunnings. Should have bought back then, even if it wasn’t urgent as today they cost $107. Guess I will wait until there is some special running.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/nelson-2-x-28w-weatherproof-fluorescent-batten_p4380091

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So did some juggling and I think I might have worked out enough to have two builders on site for four days next week, instead of three. I reckon I might be able to work it out so that the shed gets done to completion, less power, lights etc but the block has no power regardless so that won't really be an issue for a while. As for the electrical I will do most of that myself anyway and then just get the sparky in for a day to connect everything up, lights, power points and sub mains. I did that on my current shed and it worked out quite well. I can run all the cables put on all the mounting blocks and have the power points ready to be connected. I have almost a full roll of 2.5mm twin and earth and I can put the 1.5mm twin and earth on my Mitre 10 account. Conduit and mounting blocks and brackets are dirt cheap at Bunnings so I will grab a few bits from Bunnings in a month or two. The expensive thing will be the fluro's the new LED ones are the go but they are still on the high end cost wise and I will need six doubles.
I am interested to see where you go with your lighting of the garage. As I have good light at one end, but the other is hopeless for working on my truck at night time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just paid for the slab, he said yesterday it might come in under quote and it did, $9,900 which was roughly $600 under the quote. Cheerin, because it is all going to help at the end of next week or early the week after when I get the bill for the construction. Way it's going I am going to be close to having all the funds I need. I notice tonight he gives 10 days to pay the account, which could mean another fortnightly wage will come in before it's due..... I did ask him roughly what the cost is per day to have him and the crew on site but he never replied. If I knew I could work out what fives days of labour will cost. Worst case scenario is I fall short the cost of hanging the PA door, which is about 3-4hrs for one bloke and I just get him back when he has a few hours free.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
@losh1971 Now being an astute lover of all building forms and techniques especially the gothic style, I saw this post about our dealy loved and bewilderring wilderness of our lower Apple Isle and thought, hmm sounds very interesting, came on here and

WhatTheFarmers, Where is the House???

Who gives a flying fanta about a boring tin shed where you probably park some old jalopies :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@losh1971 Now being an astute lover of all building forms and techniques especially the gothic style, I saw this post about our dealy loved and bewilderring wilderness of our lower Apple Isle and thought, hmm sounds very interesting, came on here and

WhatTheFarmers, Where is the House???

Who gives a flying fanta about a boring tin shed where you probably park some old jalopies :D
images.jpeg-3.jpg

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
ahhhh ok haha Change the post title then to .....

A pretty seriously boring tin shed build without any jalopies being involved in the process coming in a month.

Stay tuned same time same bat channel