Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New House Build

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So experiment with plastic sheet over the lawn seed has been about a 70% success. Probably, three runs just wouldn't stay in place, too much wind and not enough things to keep it down. I decided to rip off the 2m x 12m run closest to the neighbour as it was just copping too much wind. That has meant I had spare pegs AKA long cup head bolts to help tie down the rest a bit better. The front of the house seems to be holding pretty well, which is good because the stray chickens are eating what they can.

I noticed on the weekend that some seed I planted about a month or so ago has started springing up. This gives me hope that the uncovered seed will sprout too in the newly sowed areas, providing the chickens don't eat too much of it.

On another note I made mention of me getting a hoist, and I have spoken to the wife and unless something goes wrong I will be ordering one in the next day or two, (hopefully tomorrow). On that note I need room in the shed, so have decided to cull some of my old furniture from the old house. I had grand plans of stripping lacquer from these wooden chairs and restoring them, making them into outdoor arm chairs. But, space is at a premium and my spare time is not a plentiful as it once was, so there are things going. I have about 8 retro dining chairs, yes @Fu Manchu three of those red ones, plus a white one I hope to give away.

At the moment in the shed I am constantly moving gear to access other gear and so I need to cull and move on and only keep what I really want. I am considering getting a garden shed built behind the main shed so I can get my outdoor equipment out of the way. Although If I get organised I can put everything on the work trailer like I had it when I worked for myself and that will free up a fair bit of floor space, which is one of my main issues at the moment.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, my experiment with the plastic is starting to yield results. I am now seeing some grass shooting. Probably leave it another week and then think about ripping some of it up.
Some of the grass is more shaded due to being at the south of the house, so that will need an extra week or two two.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Some more yard pics. The lawn I seeded a few weeks ago and covered in plastic has started to get going now. End of last week I moved about 4m of dirt from next to the vegie garden and backfilled the rear garden bed. I need another 1.5m - 2m of soil to finish it off. I picked up a 1/4 metre today while I was taking the rubbish to the tip. I only had the bike trailer hooked on so couldn't carry a 1/2 metre like I can on the work trailer. I could go and get half a dozen loads but if I do that I might as well as paid for delivery with the amount of petrol I will use making special trips just for dirt.

The vegie garden needs the soil levelling out, but I have said the rest of the fam can do that. I have put in a huge amount of hours in the yard while everyone else has cheered from the side lines. I have my own jobs to do as well so I think it's reasonable the girls jump in the garden and spend and hour or two levelling the soil out.

I'm loving how well the fescue seed is going. I had people on here and others I've met tell me that I needed to wait until the weather warmed up as it wouldn't grow properly. Well I have shown the skeptics that it will actually grow. The plastic definitely helped and where it's really taking off is near the house, with the warmth of the bricks helping things along.

I had a call this morning about the hoist and he has brought it forward to this Saturday. This is great for me as I don't have to ask for a day off work straight after taking almost two weeks of personal leave.

20220725_115257_resized.jpg
20220725_121152_resized.jpg
20220725_121232_resized.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Looking good Losh :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hoist was installed today. Now all I need is the electrician to come around and wire it up.
Bloke did a great job. As a bonus he had a platform ladder, which he allowed me to borrow so I could reposition my brace on my gantry. The old brace went on in the wrong position, as I only had a crappy picking ladder, which I struggled to get high enough while keeping my balance.
Hopefully the electrician will come by and check the job out and then get it done a few days later.
20220730_153039_resized.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hoist was installed today. Now all I need is the electrician to come around and wire it up.
Bloke did a great job. As a bonus he had a platform ladder, which he allowed me to borrow so I could reposition my brace on my gantry. The old brace went on in the wrong position, as I only had a crappy picking ladder, which I struggled to get high enough while keeping my balance.
Hopefully the electrician will come by and check the job out and then get it done a few days later.
View attachment 240651
I thought this would have been a better & easier place to brace the gantry?

(edit) Love the hoist (I'm jealous hahahahaha ;) :) :cool: ).
Loshs hoist1.jpg

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
View attachment 240651

Now what's your address for me to check it is safe to use.... :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Now what's your address for me to check it is safe to use.... :)
C’mon you just want an excuse to go over and use his hoist to do some work on your car :p