Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the stripped thread sorted just now. I was able to use the bench grinder to turn down a drill so it fit in the ext. Had a little trouble trying to stack the helicoil. The threads didn't line up so I had to pull the second helicoil out from the filter side. Stuffed a bolt, so I will either see what Nut's & Bolt's have or I will buy a couple of new gen bolts from Holden. They will be $10ea at Holden, so if Nut's & Bolt's have a 14mm head or 13mm head like factory I will grab them from there. Pretty much sorted and lesson learned about not trying to stack helicoils in the future, unless there is some technique to doing it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If anyone has an idea on how I can remove the other helicoil I'd love to know as then I could probably go buy a longer one.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Google should know how to remove a helicopter ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Possibly, but Google also said stacking them was easy enough and is commonly done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Found on Google there is a tool that goes on a drill to extract a helicoil. Not sure if Nuts & Bolts sell one but I'll find out this week. Failing that, or if they are expensive I might try and jamb a drill bit and see if I can drive it out on the filter side.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Found on Google there is a tool that goes on a drill to extract a helicoil. Not sure if Nuts & Bolts sell one but I'll find out this week. Failing that, or if they are expensive I might try and jamb a drill bit and see if I can drive it out on the filter side.
Be careful that you don't jamb the bit and break it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hub rings were waiting for me at work today. Hopefully at least get two on this Friday, might even get four on if my back holds up.

In two minds about the helicoil removal. I can get a fair amount of tension on the bolt with the slightly short one, so may just go with a new bolt and not disturb the helicoil, in case something goes wrong and I make a mess of it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
In two minds about the helicoil removal. I can get a fair amount of tension on the bolt with the slightly short one, so may just go with a new bolt and not disturb the helicoil, in case something goes wrong and I make a mess of it.
That's probably your best bet. I can't remember the torque figure for the sump bolts, but it isn't a lot. Not like it's a TTY bolt.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So we had a pastor and his wife visiting from Philippines. They were staying with the in-laws. MIL asked if I could take Joe for a ride in BT.. I said yes, so of course BT needed a really good wash to remove a stack of insect ****, and dust..Plus interior needed a vac and wipe down.
When it was time to take him for a ride I had plans so warmed the engine up for close to 10 minutes. Cruised slowly through the 60 zone, then dropped to second juat before the 80 zone and nailed it. Far out it put the wind up me a bit... Joe was like ohhhh, ohhh, very powerful engine.... I forgot how well it can go. I normally drive at grandpa speed so yeah took me by surprise a bit, haha.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So we had a pastor and his wife visiting from Philippines. They were staying with the in-laws. MIL asked if I could take Joe for a ride in BT.. I said yes, so of course BT needed a really good wash to remove a stack of insect ****, and dust..Plus interior needed a vac and wipe down.
When it was time to take him for a ride I had plans so warmed the engine up for close to 10 minutes. Cruised slowly through the 60 zone, then dropped to second juat before the 80 zone and nailed it. Far out it put the wind up me a bit... Joe was like ohhhh, ohhh, very powerful engine.... I forgot how well it can go. I normally drive at grandpa speed so yeah took me by surprise a bit, haha.

Don't know why you cleaned the interior prior to the drive.....Sounds like it needed a big clean afterwards, along with some airing out too boot...

Double the workload :D