Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can try O'Briens but if they say no then I'm out of free options. I don't even know if O'Brien's is approved for windscreens with Shannon's.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had another look and it seems to be where the rubber meets the glass.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm pretty sure it's between the seal and glass. The seal has not done its job. It happens a bit on the VE. It's not hugely common but it happens to others as well.
Looks like your windscreen is starting to delaminate.
No buffing will fix that... Your windscreen has probably been replaced before, using el cheapo glass.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks like your windscreen is starting to delaminate.
No buffing will fix that... Your windscreen has probably been replaced before, using el cheapo glass.
I can go back and find out. I should be able to claim a replacement if that is the case. But he never mentioned it yesterday and said that I would get my claim knocked back until it has a crack.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Spoke to Instant Windscreens over the phone and he seemed to agree it probably is delamination. I will call Shannon's and see how I go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have put in a claim. I happened to to get sprayed with fine gravel on the highway when I was moving house. This left about 6 - 8 tiny chips. The insurer said that they will put the claim through. I did mention about the delaminating as well and he said he will put it through anyway because of the stone chips. So not sure if they would cover delamination alone or whether you need impact damage also.

Hopefully I don't get a bill...., I don't imagine O'Briens being overly cheap..... One thing he asked if I had auto wipers, which I don't think I do or ever did. He also asked if I have acoustic glass, again I doubt an eight cyl poverty pack would have it as such.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hope it’s all sorted without any cost for you… :cool:

I didn’t think any commodore ever had acoustic glass (=double glazed if I’m not mistaken & rather exy $$$ wise)…

Many c’dores had auto wipers via sensors inside the box above the rear vision mirror where the lane departure camera also lives. Auto wipers, lane departure warning and such features simply requires recalibration when a windscreen is changed. Really, OBriens should know about this and should arrange it via the insurance & a dealer if they can’t do it in house…

If you are really curious, you could ask a dealer (friend?) what your car has or RTFM if you have one :p

( maybe I’m thinking of VF’s :p:p:p but manual should help or a member will chime in :cool: )

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I went to Instant Windscreens today to have my windscreen assessed. It has a few small chips from a spray of stones a few months ago. They said it's not bad enough and won't develop cracks from the chips. They basically won't support a claim and it would get rejected by my insurer. Sucks because mine has the classic common VE dirty water marks all along the top of the seal.
You wouldn’t recall the hard water etching on the VE Calais windscreen but it was full on. As in made seeing difficult. Only took a 0000 steel wool and then 5 or 6 treatments with Maguiars Glass Cleaner and a DA. Came up mint though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So bonnet has been buffed on Black Thunder today. I am yet to see it but the tech said it looks heaps better. There was a couple of deeper scratches he couldn't get out but I knew that, but apparently they are less noticeable. There is also a few stone chips but not much I can do with those unless I get it painted. I did try to find a paint pen in Phantom but it doesn't look like one is available.

Looking forward to having a geazer at it tonight when I get home. Hopefully I can get my bar cover painted in about six weeks, long waiting times for spray painters ATM, otherwise it might have already been done.

Probably have a break from spending too much more once the bar cover is painted. Only thing I might do is organise the diff gears. I need to order those from Adelaide, plus they need to go through the lapping tank or they will have problems. Still don't have a diff builder. I have spoke to one place here who says they can do it, but I haven't been able to find out what they are like workmanship wise so I'm a bit hesitant to part with $1000+ in labour and a bearing kit and shims if they don't do a good job..... Plus it will be another $400 or so to have it fitted and it will be only then that I will know if the job done is good or rubbish...

He said most people with VE's just buy a whole new diff as the price is not much more than an overhaul. Issue is you can only go 3.7s max if you want new.....

Last edited:

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Terribly bad luck how that brick big rock is going to come out of nowhere and hit the passenger's side of your windscreen on the way home from work next Friday, isn't it? Good thing you've got windscreen cover on your comprehensive insurance losh.