Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Terribly bad luck how that brick big rock is going to come out of nowhere and hit the passenger's side of your windscreen on the way home from work next Friday, isn't it?
Yeah, it is especially considering those damn neighbours kids were throwing rocks again even though I growled when they were doing it near my car. This time one hit my windscreen......

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just got my first viewing of the bonnet after it was buffed today. Came up 50x better than it was.
I only have one regret. I now wish I'd asked him to buff the top of the hardlid.... hahahaha
I'll have a go myself but I doubt I can do a good of a job as Matt from Touch Up Guys could.

20220513_223451_resized.jpg

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Terribly bad luck how that brick big rock is going to come out of nowhere and hit the passenger's side of your windscreen on the way home from work next Friday, isn't it? Good thing you've got windscreen cover on your comprehensive insurance losh.
Was thinking the same thing lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well this morning I washed and clayed Black Thunder. First time claying a car and only Youtube training. I got the clay done in about and hour with my new Repco clay pad, plus about 30 minutes to wash it.
I was quite impressed with the Repco clay sponge. Worked great for a $2.75, clay tool. Glad I bought two. I have quite a collection of towels and pads now, which will be good as you go through a few doing a full exterior detail.

I actually had to get the wife to Google time taken to clay a car, because I thought I might have not taken enough time. I just know that when it was last detailed the bloke had it best part of a day.

I've just applied the Turtle Wax polish/wax, and now Black wax and am waiting for it to dry before i do the buff off.
I then will hit it with ceramic thick wax, let that dry and buff off, finishing with the spray on Turtle Wax.
This is all a bit experimental as I've never layered up wax before, but I have read it can be done and it apparently does layer up.

I have left the tonnneau for now as it has fine scratches and I'm hoping the father in law has time to swing around and help me polish the scratches. If he comes I can also watch him and learn how to do it myself. If he doesn't come around I will have to get on YouTube for a tutorial and have a go on my own.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that, hahahaha.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Father in law is not coming around. And my polisher now only has two speeds, stop and flat out. I can feather the trigger to sorta polish the wax with the wool pad, but no hope of polishing the scratches on the top of the tonneau. Bit annoyed because I was in Town today and did look at a cheap DA at Autobarn. Spewing I didn't test my polisher out earlier today. It has played up before but it came good, but not this time...... I've tried to get it repaired but they looked at it and said they can't get parts as it's too old. Not that, that would help me anyway it took over a week to get it back last time.
I have the choice now of spend $409 on a Makita, or buy an Autobarn GV DA for about $100 or use my TTI voucher and buy buy Detroit for $98.
Can't decide, I hate cheap tools, but I'm reluctant to buy a good one when I will hardly use it. I already have a shed full of brand name 240v power tools that only get pulled out on the rare occasion. Having said that I don't love having cheap tools in the mix either. What I'd love is to find a SH brand name one at a reasonable price.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I actually had to get the wife to Google time taken to clay a car, because I thought I might have not taken enough time.
I'm sure wifey knows you all too well so will add the "losh OCD factor" to any times that google may pop up with :p:p:p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... my polisher now only has two speeds, stop and flat out...
I've had an old grinder that would not turn on or off as the switch would jam... too much grinding concrete... so I used compressed air to blow the crud out of the switch and other bits within the grinder until she worked again :p

It's probably not the same with your polisher but you could try and blow the switch, speed adjuster and internal bits clean of any old polishing dust since there is nothing to loose but some squashed air ;)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
an hour seems quick but if the paint was in good condition would be bout right, i took the best part of a day to do mine but i had buildup on all upward facing areas as the vehicle sat around most if its life before i got it so the clay took a bit inch by inch to get that smoothed out and gunk off but well worth it in the end

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lol I just tried, the variable resistor switch is a sealed unit. Now it won't even switch off without pulling the power.