Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I need the AC semi working as I can't see out my window in sub zero temps without it on. It fogs up bad without it on. I don't even know if my heater would work if it's disconnected?

Turn on ‘heat‘ and ‘fresh air’ (not recirculate) and it’ll defog.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That’s the theory but how many parts that aren’t designed to break actually break for no apparent reason :p

Me I just don’t like when a mechanic assume stuff and doesn‘t actually check their assumption. That’s especially the case as I‘m the one that has to pay for any parts canon a mechanic‘s assumption causes :mad:
It's booked in for next Wednesday to give a final diagnosis. Someone said take it elsewhere but another $150 each time to have it diagnosed seems a bit of a waste.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Turn on ‘heat‘ and ‘fresh air’ (not recirculate) and it’ll defog.
What can I do about the fumes when I'm stopped in traffic though?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's booked in for next Wednesday to give a final diagnosis. Someone said take it elsewhere but another $150 each time to have it diagnosed seems a bit of a waste.
I hate mechanics…

$150 for 1/2 a diagnosis because it needs to be taken back for final diagnosis (presumable costing more $$)? :mad:

What is it, are his kids private school fees due soon?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Once you have the air dry (heat and fresh) you can switch back to recirculate, but you might need to revert to ‘fresh air’ from time to time has the air gathers more moisture (and the starts to fog).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I hate mechanics…

$150 for 1/2 a diagnosis because it needs to be taken back for final diagnosis (presumable costing more $$)? :mad:

What is it, are his kids private school fees due soon?
It won't be another $150 to complete the diagnosis at this place. But if I take it to another mob it will be $150 again as they will want to start the diagnostic process over and not take my word for it. Places around here don't want to finish what someone else has started so will want to start from the beginning, which will mean vac down, and an attempt to charge the system, only to tell me much the same thing I suspect.

The AC tech I use is relatively cheap compared to the couple of other places that do AC. This bloke charges about $88 an hour the other mob is about $130 an hour last time I used them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brings back memories of driving to uni with window open while wearing a coat because of the cold (blocked heater core) and wiping the inside of the windscreen with the back of my hand (aircon, what’s aircon)…. Yep… unroadworthy because couldn’t demist :oops:

Fumes, don’t tell me about fumes :p:p:p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Utes seem to be a bastard for fumes. My old ute was the same.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Places around here don't want to finish what someone else has started so will want to start from the beginning, which will mean vac down, and an attempt to charge the system, only to tell me much the same thing I suspect.
vacuming a system and then gassing without doing full leak and pressure tests isn’t according to the industry code of practice that all ac grunts should follow

As a disclaimer, you’re not doing anything wrong as such. aC is outside you’re wheelhouse so you need t9 trust the mechanics.

It’s just that I hate the closed shop ac industry that doesn’t even seem to follow their code of practice so I’m probably sounding a little harsh which is not the intent.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Noticed tonight what looks to be a crank seal leak. Just something else I have to get fixed. Not sure where to take it to have it done is my only issue. I have the seal and bolt already. Last place reckoned he tried to get the balancer off reckoned it was stuck...... I don't know if that was BS or truth???? My other option is a day off work and take it to the garage near home. Seems a waste of a leave day just to pay someone to work on my bus.