Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for everyone who helped with the AC. I have decided to get the garage on Wednesday to remove the belt and I will run without the AC for a bit.

I need to pay for the RM leak more importantly, so will have that addressed first. I just need to figure out who to take it too?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
leaking from the back could be rear main or oil sender or sump seal, sensor is the easy one to check the other two are a PITA

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
leaking from the back could be rear main or oil sender or sump seal, sensor is the easy one to check the other two are a PITA
Could a garage determine which one is causing the issue by popping it up on the hoist?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another question if its the sender do I have three weeks to get it assessed? Or are these something that blows out rather quickly and dump a heap of oil? It's going in for it's safety inspection on the 12th and I was hoping they could diagnose it then.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Could a garage determine which one is causing the issue by popping it up on the hoist?
if u have one of those bore scope camera things u may be able to take one of the side plastic bits off at the bottom of the gearbox/engine mounting surfaces and see inside to see if its oil from the center seal or if its lower it will be the sump, the sensor u will be able to see from the top or running down the side but that usually creates a oil sensor code if the oil gets into the plug which is where they usually leak from if they do

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
if u have one of those bore scope camera things u may be able to take one of the side plastic bits off at the bottom of the gearbox/engine mounting surfaces and see inside to see if its oil from the center seal or if its lower it will be the sump, the sensor u will be able to see from the top or running down the side but that usually creates a oil sensor code if the oil gets into the plug which is where they usually leak from if they do
I might have figured it out. The oil filter was not tight enough and I could turn it by hand about a 6th of a turn. Weird, as I have never had this issue before when only hand tightening filters, and gone by the instructions on the box, wait until it grabs then go 1/4 turn until it feels firm.

I posted six months ago about having issues getting it off last service because it was really tight and I was up the old house over the pit with limited tools. Think I now know why it was so tight..... That could have been disastrous. Service is due next weekend but it may well have come right off by then.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I might have figured it out. The oil filter was not tight enough and I could turn it by hand about a 6th of a turn. Weird, as I have never had this issue before when only hand tightening filters, and gone by the instructions on the box, wait until it grabs then go 1/4 turn until it feels firm.

I posted six months ago about having issues getting it off last service because it was really tight and I was up the old house over the pit with limited tools. Think I now know why it was so tight..... That could have been disastrous. Service is due next weekend but it may well have come right off by then.
yea that might be it if it was loose, 70psi when cold will seep out easy enough over time, i usually just do them up decent firm by hand then usually need the tool to take it back off, ive got 3 of those bloody filter tools every car i get seems to have a different size/angle that needs a different tool

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yea that might be it if it was loose, 70psi when cold will seep out easy enough over time, i usually just do them up decent firm by hand then usually need the tool to take it back off, ive got 3 of those bloody filter tools every car i get seems to have a different size/angle that needs a different tool
Yeah I bought one soon after the last debacle of trying to get it off. It's one of those Ryco 1/2" drive filter sockets. I did it up fairly tight. No longer doing the hand tight thing with the ute, not taking that risk anymore. There was quite a bit of oil in that vicinity. I couldn't find the oil pressure switch, even though I looked on both sides of the bay.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Glad it wasn't the switch, well I hope not. Over $220 for a new one.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
oil sender is right at the back of valley plate hiding behind the manifold, bit of a pain to replace