Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well I believe it has a weep from the RM as there was always a drop hanging off the sump but never seemed to be enough to fall on the ground. I thought it must have got worse since it was last checked probably four months ago. The drips on the ground were in the right spot. I thought it was the crank seal as that does have a weep too but it's not dripping enough.

Can't see the oil switch only way I think I could see it is to remove the injector rail and take off the manifold cover. Can't feel any oil up high on the back of the engine where my hands can reach.

So yeah it was the 1% I think, lucky I didn't say 100% as then I would have been totally wrong...... hahahaha

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I always crank my oil filters up tight with a filter wrench, I probably go a bit overkill on it but never had any leaks and can always manage to get it back off again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah in 34 years of changing filters this is the first one I have had come loose and I have only ever done them hand tight. However, this is also the first one that I have had sit upside down IIRC. The LS one may need to be tighter than most as it is a small mounting surface compared to what I'm used too.

As for getting it off last time only only had a socket set and a screwdriver set to work with, and maybe a hammer? It would have been a breeze with the tool I have now, but getting it off last time meant destroying the filter with a hammer and screwdriver.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
injector rail can stay on just the engine cover if u still have it on will have to come off, would be easier if the windscreen plastic piece was removed or u can get to it just pain to do, usually need a short spanner so u can turn it 1/8 of turn for half an hour before it comes out

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Injector rail sits over the top of the manifold cover and is hard against it. I don't see how it could be removed without taking it off as well.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Glad it wasn't the switch, well I hope not. Over $220 for a new one.
$220 is Holden
Injector rail sits over the top of the manifold cover and is hard against it. I don't see how it could be removed without taking it off as well.
Did this just last weekend, follow the injector wiring back to the sensor plug passenger side.
27mm socket 1/2 inch with a 100mm extension bar.
Hardest part was figuring out how the electrical connector comes off.
Engine cover off only.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea leave manifold just the engine cover if u still have it on, its at the back of the manifold screws into the valley

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$220 is Holden
That price is Repco.

I just felt the switch and there is no oil near it or on it.
Although it may be possible to get to it with the manifold cover in place I think it may be easier to see without it on?

It does appear to be obstructing my view, well I think it is? It may not make a difference but it sits pretty close to the switch.

20220625_161655_resized.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
That price is Repco.

I just felt the switch and there is no oil near it or on it.
Although it may be possible to get to it with the manifold cover in place I think it may be easier to see without it on?

It does appear to be obstructing my view, well I think it is? It may not make a difference but it sits pretty close to the switch.

View attachment 239228
With the oil leak, did you lose much oil?