Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
One thing I forgot to mention today. Is that when I spoke to Jack Mc, he was talking exactly the same way as he does on his YouTube vids. There was cursing and swearing, plenty of Fs and S being flung around about how dodgy the ZF diff is and how it could have been better. It was almost like I was there while he was being filmed...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sounds like there is no bullshite with Jack, what you see is what you get

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Spoke to Steve Hillman and a Kaaz is about $1500, not $2000. He is going to ask his supplier about steel clutches, but he hasn't heard of any that are available.

So kinda in two minds spend the extra on a Kaaz or fit the low km centre. I'm not really wanting to wait 3 months for a Harrop to come in. To wait for a Harrop would mean no diff for at least four months, and then might struggle to get it installed that close to Christmas.

I'll have to wait and see what Steve comes up with.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That pic you posted of your place the other day, well just quietly, that ute looks so nice in the drive. Those wheels, I know you’re not a fan but they look good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That pic you posted of your place the other day, well just quietly, that ute looks so nice in the drive. Those wheels, I know you’re not a fan but they look good.
I may have a buyer for them already. The bloke who bought my diff gears asked me if I'd sell them. I said funny enough they are coming off when it's time to replace the tyres.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So spoke to the diff builder today and pretty much settled on a stage II Kaaz. He will be getting me a price this week hopefully. He is crook so it could take a little longer. The diff arrived today and he said he will make a start on it in the next couple of weeks. I have asked if the diff can be ready in October for me bring back when I head over in the first week of November. I got some info on the Kaaz and you do need to do 10k oil changes but you can just use 140w mineral oil, after about three oil changes within the first 5k, using the recommended Kaaz oil. You need an additive but it's made by Penrite so easy to get. He was telling me about this really awesome Trutrac that's way better than the Harrop but they are stupidly expensive and I think stocks have been out for months as they are US made.
Apparently there is a major shortage on diff parts at the moment, with no ETA on new stock. But I think there is still Kaaz centres still available, well the diff builder believes he can get them fairly quick.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So been putting this job off for quite a while. But today I had some spare time so thought why not?

It was a bit of a learning curve. The first one I removed I drilled a little too far. This one I drilled only what I had to but snapped a locating post getting it off. So ended up using the old vent mount that I removed from the original door trim. For anyone else needing to do this I suggest removing the door leaver, it simply unscrews and is the only thing you can remove without a drill. By removing it you won't break the locating post on the vent mount.
Anyway I just finished. It took me about 2hrs or so as it's fiddly and you need to take your time.
Photo A is why I had to replace it. It was like it when I bought the Calais trims to replace the factory ones.
Glad its done as it was one of those little things that bugged me. To add I tried plastic welding with limited success, really needed new parts for that. But I did buy some Bondic, which is a liquid plastic that cures with UV light. Worked a treat.

Attachments

• 20220814_125136_resized.jpg
    20220814_125136_resized.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220814_145527_resized.jpg
    20220814_145527_resized.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 85