Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1632972917007.png

Ok, as many know I have placed a deposit on this ute. It needs a few things fixed, to which I am already in the process of chasing parts. The ute is a 6L manual with mild cam, headers and I think Manta exhaust. It's definitely got a rumble to it, and people will know when I'm coming and going. The interior requires a couple of replacement parts. It looks like the radio surround has been damaged with solvent as there are two finger marks. The seats have been reupholstered and the headliner has also been done.

It look to have had the headlights replaced as they are too clear for 13 year old car. The tailgate has some minor dents, which could be fixed with PDR. It also has a crack in the trim that sits above the number plate. However I have found a complete really good cond tailgate for $150, which I will grab on the weekend.

It is silver but PDR or repairs in five spots on my current tailgate will be at least $200, then I have to buy the plastic trim at another $50-$60. My tailgate needs a paint regardless as it has a few marks on it, so it won't be anymore to get that done and I can throw mine in my other shed for a spare. It may even be something I can get the father in law to help me paint anyway. The other good thing is I can get the silver one painted and then bolt it on at my leisure or pay to have it fitted without waiting for paint to be baked, which means less time off the road.

1632975656628.png

As for power I hope to get a copy of the dyno graph. What I can say it it has some serious power from around 3000-3500. The bloke had it advertised at $25k but when I saw it I knew it wasn't a $25k one. It has 197k on the clock so even in perfect shape I still feel it would be a $23-$24k one (Tassie prices). Apparently it has LS7 lifters, which means little to me as I'm not too familiar with with the LS anyway.

I was chasing an SSV but when I was able to get this one for $21k I knew I had enough to spend some coin on it and not lose out. I have noticed there are a few things the SSV has over an SS but they are minor now, as this one has full leather seats.

Once I pick it up I plan to book it in for a full inspection and see what I have not been able to find on my inspection. Then I will also book it in for diff and trans services but that will likely be a three month wait to get in. I could drop the driveline fluids myself but then I need to get the additives and then I won't know what I'm looking for, in the way of wear.

Once I get it home I will give it a wash and I will go over all the paint and look for marks and see what can be buffed out. Then I'll clay bar all the duco and put on the turtle wax ceramic.

I want to find some original wheels at a reasonable price, $500 would be nice. There is a set for $1000 but they are not perfect, and even then, if they were I don't think SS rims are worth $250 each.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
View attachment 227509

Ok, as many know I have placed a deposit on this ute. It needs a few things fixed, to which I am already in the process of chasing parts. The ute is a 6L manual with mild cam, headers and I think Manta exhaust. It's definitely got a rumble to it, and people will know when I'm coming and going. The interior requires a couple of replacement parts. It looks like the radio surround has been damaged with solvent as there are two finger marks. The seats have been reupholstered and the headliner has also been done.

It look to have had the headlights replaced as they are too clear for 13 year old car. The tailgate has some minor dents, which could be fixed with PDR. It also has a crack in the trim that sits above the number plate. However I have found a complete really good cond tailgate for $150, which I will grab on the weekend.

It is silver but PDR or repairs in five spots on my current tailgate will be at least $200, then I have to buy the plastic trim at another $50-$60. My tailgate needs a paint regardless as it has a few marks on it, so it won't be anymore to get that done and I can throw mine in my other shed for a spare. It may even be something I can get the father in law to help me paint anyway. The other good thing is I can get the silver one painted and then bolt it on at my leisure or pay to have it fitted without waiting for paint to be baked, which means less time off the road.

View attachment 227511

As for power I hope to get a copy of the dyno graph. What I can say it it has some serious power from around 3000-3500. The bloke had it advertised at $25k but when I saw it I knew it wasn't a $25k one. It has 197k on the clock so even in perfect shape I still feel it would be a $23-$24k one (Tassie prices). Apparently it has LS7 lifters, which means little to me as I'm not too familiar with with the LS anyway.

I was chasing an SSV but when I was able to get this one for $21k I knew I had enough to spend some coin on it and not lose out. I have noticed there are a few things the SSV has over an SS but they are minor now, as this one has full leather seats.

Once I pick it up I plan to book it in for a full inspection and see what I have not been able to find on my inspection. Then I will also book it in for diff and trans services but that will likely be a three month wait to get in. I could drop the driveline fluids myself but then I need to get the additives and then I won't know what I'm looking for, in the way of wear.

Once I get it home I will give it a wash and I will go over all the paint and look for marks and see what can be buffed out. Then I'll clay bar all the duco and put on the turtle wax ceramic.

I want to find some original wheels at a reasonable price, $500 would be nice. There is a set for $1000 but they are not perfect, and even then, if they were I don't think SS rims are worth $250 each.
1632978922571.gif

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking at upgrading the stereo system. I'm not in subs, so it will be a basic double din, small amp, which I have already and some reasonable speakers. Thinking I will have it all fitted but not 100% certain. I know I will require an aftermarket kit to set it up.

This is the head unit I am thinking of. I don't require an overly expensive unit as I have had some decent results with the lower price point Pioneer gear over the years. I have to buy it online from Autobarn $299 on sale, ($399 retail). Once I have it I will wait for the Aeropro kit to come on sale and snaville one. Same with speakers. I will need to figure out what size speakers fit in the doors of a VE? I assume 6.5 should fit but that the grills are just small. I will buy the HU when I get home tonight as I will need my debit card number.

PIONEER AVH-A215BT 6.2" AV RECEIVER
1632981360210.png

These are the speakers I am considering. At $211 they are a lot more than I have ever paid for speakers before. May hold off though as they will have a 20% off sale at some point, which will bring them down to $199.
PIONEER TS-D65F

1632982170156.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
LS7 lifters are the default replacement/upgrade to my knowledge. Avoids known lifter issues with "stock" ones
I’ve always understood that the 6ltr manual had AFM lifters and AFM valley plate as standard with the AFM feature turned off in the factory tune because of NVH issues…

As such, whenever one did a cam upgrade, the normal process was to ditch those AFM lifters and the valley plate as a matter of course and the LS7 lifters were the pick of the factory lifters to use…

PS: AIUI, that was the case for the VE L77 V8’s, and seems it was not the case for the earlier L98 which didn‘t have AFM… Not sure when the changeover to L77 occurred and whether it was a clean series 1 to series 2 upgrade …

Last edited: