Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone know roughly how many hours to swap over a comp on an L98 (not including regas) as that is about $150 I already know that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I can get the insulator those goes over the firewall. But does anyone know what the clips are called? Or have a link to the clips. Nothing comes up on eBay.

1655983534204.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Once you have the air dry (heat and fresh) you can switch back to recirculate, but you might need to revert to ‘fresh air’ from time to time has the air gathers more moisture (and the starts to fog).
Is there anyway of stopping AC working without removing the belt and still have heater controls? I looked and taking the belt off is beyond my capabilities. The only way I could take it off is with a knife.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Is there anyway of stopping AC working without removing the belt and still have heater controls? I looked and taking the belt off is beyond my capabilities. The only way I could take it off is with a knife.
I’m not sure for the VE. In the VF it’s possible to simply turn off the air conditioner (compressor).

It might be possible that your car is using a ‘stretch belt’? If so, search the web on how to remove it - it’s not too hard but there is a technique to getting a stretch belt off (and back on again!).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Utes seem to be a bastard for fumes. My old ute was the same.
I will disagree with you on that point. I've never actually used the recirc button in any of my utes.
If you want to remove the serpentine belt on the accessories, just use a spanner on the tensioner to remove tension and slip the belt off...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will disagree with you on that point. I've never actually used the recirc button in any of my utes.
If you want to remove the serpentine belt on the accessories, just use a spanner on the tensioner to remove tension and slip the belt off...
Then why would my old ute and this one be fumy if your at the lights with the heater on and not on recirc? I can't see any exhaust leaks. I went in and had a hole welded up and was inspected just a few months ago and it still smells at the lights.

How do you get to the small second belt though, that's in behind the main belt? I didn't see a tensioner on it anywhere.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Because the AC compressors is non cycling, the compressed volume is controlled by the HVAC module which grounds the compressor‘s variable displacement solenoid by using a PWM grounding strategy. As such, removing the electrical plug at the compressor should set the wobble plate so the pistons would hardly move… (should but never tried it)… Regardless the compressor shaft would still be spinning and with it the piston pushrods would still be sliding on the wobble plate. So low oil volume may still cause wear issues (but probably at a slower rate with a lower compressor volume)…

So stopping the engine from turning the AC compressor would be the best solution which requires AC belt removal…

IIRC, with older earlier models there were shorter belts that could be fitted to bypass the AC (since not all models had AC). Not sure if such shorter belts even exist for the VE or VF (as all variants had AC fitted).

And as the accessory belt also powers the alternator and WP, something is needed to drive those if you want to use the car, hence you need a shorter belt. You could always measure the length of a belt that bypasses the AC (if such routing is even possible) and check a catelog for something that would then fit.

But on my VF to remove AC belt you need to first remove the accessory belt which is a bit of a PITA.

[reordered paragraphs with minor edits and a correction to clean up my post]
[VF (and likely VE) has a seperate AC belt behind the accessory belt]

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there is a tensioner on the a/c belt, just have to get the main belt off first then u can get to it, the fuel smell is because of your camshaft and possibly exhaust as well if u have higher flow cats, some/most of the smell can be solved in the tune

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I may have missed it but why do you want to
Then why would my old ute and this one be fumy if your at the lights with the heater on and not on recirc? I can't see any exhaust leaks. I went in and had a hole welded up and was inspected just a few months ago and it still smells at the lights.

How do you get to the small second belt though, that's in behind the main belt? I didn't see a tensioner on it anywhere.
Your cars not missing that bailey channel rubber seal that goes on the top of the firewall and seals against the bonnet is it?