Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Nov 11, 2017.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    yeah just edited wasn't quick enough.

2. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    In another thread I asked about cutting compound and have decided on Meguiar's. Found the cheapest place is eBay at $27 with (PULL5) code so gonna order some in the next couple of days. In the top pic you can see a metal angle bracket. Not sure why it is there. But I plan to remove it as it looks bodgy. I was using it to anchor the end of the tarp cord. But I have decided to get two cup head bolts in galv and mount them on the lip of the tub up near the front. It will look a hole lot neater and also be easier than reaching into the centre of the tub to hook the loop of the tarp cord on. I will post a pic once I get them fitted.

3. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20180516_162847.jpg

4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So I paint the corner panel all nice and white. Looks good and then I have a bo=peep and a tiny bug has landed on it, because it was getting dark. Stupid me picks the bug off and then hits it with a bit more white.... Should have just left it because it's getting a proper coat of white when I buy the right colour. What happens, yepp I get a run. I have done the same thing before and obviously I didn't learn. Too much of a damn hurry to get the panel back on. Now I have to wait another 40mins and wet 'n dry the runs and repaint it..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Bloody bugs are always keen to land on fresh paint jobs

losh1971 likes this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Need to wet rub the bottom edges of the panel as i layered the paint on fairly well because it was only pressure pack so mostly thinners. It has a little bit of a wavey edge in a couple of spots but a rub will sort that. Then with the final coats it should come up even better. I got a tiny bit of peeling when I removed the tape on the black knob but its easy to fix when the final paint happens. Even so its a hundred times better than it was. 20180516_214118.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 9:30 PM
  7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Just onto some more touch up work on the body. I have now removed all the silicone from the sailplane. Ended up having to sand the edge of the roof where it meets the plane to be able to remove all the silicone. Also ground out the cracks in the plane to ensure I have no silicone in there. Now I have to decide the best way to repair it. The plane appears to be made of fibreglass. Therefore I'm thinking I might get a sheet of mesh so the cracks don't reappear. It will mean however trying to get the fibreglass as thin as possible so I don't have too much hassle in feathering it out. While I was on the grinder I wire brushed the left hinge area on the tailgate. I ended up removing the tailgate seal and noticed it was full of dirt. That probably explains why I was getting some surface rust along the whole edge of the body. I have ground it out now and just etched it. Gonna then hit it with some primer and top coat it tonight if the weather doesn't drop too much.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 3:22 PM
  8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20180517_153135_resized.jpg

Attached Files:

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20180517_153127_resized.jpg

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Got the white paint on just before we went out and it seems to have dried ok. I had a look at the seal and it was really grotty. I gave it a blast with the hose and a scrub with steel wool. I still think there might be dirt in the groove so I am soaking it in a bucket of soapy water. Then I will hit I with the hose again after an hour or so. Really want to get it clean tonight so it has time to dry tomorrow as I won't get home from work until around 4.30-5.00.
    I should be picking up a buffer tomorrow which means I am getting close to being able to cut the paint. Gonna start with the sides and bonnet as I don't have fresh paint on those areas. It will be good too because I have a painted patch on the bonnet where we had to repair a dent, made when the strut top busted through, when I hit a pot hole and the shock rod was forced up and if I'm lucky the paint might be a pretty close match once I get some shine into it.

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ummm not so sure it's the manufacturers, BJ-TM KU22 $115 each $30 a tyre less than Kmart.... WTF??? I really thought the margins were a lot less than that??

12. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Maybe they are. BJ might have excess or dated stock they need to clear. Holding stock for too long can cost money and erode margins anyway so best to offload it at a cheaper price.

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Not sure 5.0, because they told me they would have to get them out of the warehouse down in Hobart for two brands and the other ones had to come from Melb. They said to me they tend not to carry those old sizes much anymore.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  14. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    It is possible they are getting them through Tempe tyre wholesale division....For some unknown reason, Tempe are able to supply tyres cheaper than the actual wholesaler of the brand.

Or it is possible BJ is flogging them off cheap to take the sale away from KTAS...

Either way, getting a written quote through BJ, KTAS should match it

losh1971 likes this.
  15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Started repairing the sailplane today. Ended up gluing and mostly filling the cracks with epoxy resin. Now need to give the patches a rough sand and finish it off with some filler.

16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Got three coats of filler in the sailplane late this afternoon. I now have the shape looking pretty right. Need to go to the hardware tomorrow and grab some sandpaper and give it a good sand and see if it needs any skim filler. Hoping i can get some paint on it by Mon eve.

afstruct and VS_Pete like this.
  17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20180519_175103.jpg

afstruct and VS_Pete like this.
  18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So today I had a change of plans. The sailplane looked ok but it wasn't perfect. While the expanda foam reinforced it, it had also created three bulging spot. While they went heaps noticeable I still seen them. My decision was made when I primed the repairs. I could then see how much more work was going to be needed to get the tiny holes filled and it needed more filler and shaping. What also helped me make up my mind was I bought a front and rear carry bar for $80 for the two this afternoon. I was hoping to leave the sailplane on as well as fit the front carry bar. To do this the plane needed to come off as the brackets wouldn't get through the gaps. In the end the plane was trashed getting it off. The screws came out no worries but the top edge where it meets the roof was glued on with sealant adhesive. Plus it seems like someone has repaired the fibreglass before because some of that was adhered to the roof towards the drivers side. The bar I scored has the rear brace, that bolts down to the wheel arch for the front bar but I'm not fitting it because it will make the soft cover hard to fit and take up space on the sides of the tray. I have some hand sanding and painting on the edge of the roof where I had to buff of the sealant with the fine grinder pad. 20180520_163440.jpg 20180520_163444.jpg

19. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Shame about the sailplane but good score with the bars.
    Now you can carry stuff without damaging the roof.
    Why are the rear brackets sitting so high? Shorly the angle should sit down on the edge of the tub.

20. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    I really liked the look of the sailplane too. But thats ok

losh1971 likes this.