Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
What type of CAI are you going.
Mace pod on the VS

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What type of CAI are you going.
Mace pod on the VS
that's what I'm thinking but I'm not overly keen on KN filters as i drive a reasonable amount of dirt roads. Need to look into it some more.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
careful with posting pics with details like tracking numbers - anybody on the interweb can see where your stuff's being sent!

K&N are fine as long as you keep them clean and oil them properly.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
that's what I'm thinking but I'm not overly keen on KN filters as i drive a reasonable amount of dirt roads. Need to look into it some more.

Mace CAI doesn't need a K&N filter.

When I got mine it came with a SAAS pod. Washable but no need for any oil treatment. Much cheaper to replace than a K&N as well.

I ended up with two so when one was washed and drying, subbed the other one in so no downtime.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
o2 sensor,new plugs + delphi coils & tuned memcal made vp ute nice to drive & got economy over 450km per tank.

Has crap genie headers & v6 supercharged otr...better parts it would improve but going v8 route when clutch finally gives up.

Suspect engine has over 300k on it,slight sump gasket leak & annoying p/steer leak only thing can fault on it.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Mace CAI doesn't need a K&N filter.

When I got mine it came with a SAAS pod. Washable but no need for any oil treatment. Much cheaper to replace than a K&N as well.

I ended up with two so when one was washed and drying, subbed the other one in so no downtime.
Got the same as above

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Replaced a worn out cable that I had snapped the outer case up near the bracket a while back and had taped together so the engine wasn't revving it's head off. The lack of space is teaching me I need to remove extra parts before attempting certain jobs or risk breaking them. Cable was stuffed anyway long ago because it had the nuts glued in place because the threads had stripped as they commonly do. Also had to replace the cover on the DFI plug as I damaged that when I removed the rocker cover to mend a crack that someone had put in, obviously when they had lifted the engine and failed to hook it on without the right coupling or shackle. Looked at the temp sensor plug and someone has RTV'd the top of the plug for some reason. Wanted to see if I could just remove the leads but it looks like I may have to splice another plug in off a wreck, or replace a big loom. Also checked out how hard it is going to be to fit Pacemaker's. Drivers side looks fairly straight forward, passenger side needs a bit taken off to make room. I suspect it is going to take at least 2 hours or more to pull them off the wreck at the self serve wrecker as the VP they are coming off has been barely touched inside the engine bay.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Actually the drivers side is more of a pig than passenger side...the heater tap and steering rack get in the way and have to be moved,the rear most nut/stud on the drivers side is also a bit of a pain....the paccies are split so they maybe easier (only done gennie and advance brands) the stock ones can be gotten off without moving the rack, but you have to hold your tongue in a certain way and raise your right leg just right :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have to see how I go tomorrow I have less than two hours now to get them off so it may be a case of making a start tomorrow and going back Sat morn.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Hope it goes well , you deserve some decent time ,trouble free motoring with just serving and the odd mod .
Want to keep ute for quite a few years now, surly payback is just around the corner = routine stuff for ages .