Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I look at it this way, if I had got a loan and bought a VF ute I would pay half as much again in interest over the life of the loan and $4k - $5k would have already been wiped off the resale value in the first 12 months of owning it.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeap, and one reason why I don't get a newer (new) ute , ( I would absolutely love a new car /ute ) but I also love and am fortunate to aford what I have ( I also go I can aford this new or I could get this second hand) .
Have only ever bought 3 new vechices ( they've all been bikes ) , my very first one ( a trail bike ) , then one in the mid/ late 90's and then because I stuck to a budget ( and was fortunate) after buying house in newy in 07 got the buell. ( am still fortunate in I can just afford .!! to run the bikes and cars . ( but I'm noticing every year it's getting harder) .
Vechices getting older ( more maintenance) and inflation,(cost of living).

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Eventually you'll get on top of it..can't be much left that hasn't been replaced.

Just don't add up all the hours put in or people will think you need a straightjacket lol

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, got a couple of friends who say just get rid of and buy a newer vechice. ( All I see when they say that is depreciation and there's nothing I like I that i can afford they don't get it, ( different views) , car /bike is just transport

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
you get to the stage you know the car and everything is fixed and you can enjoy it.
the VS is running the best it can and only maintenance is done now.
the VE is the same (deep pan yet)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeap, and one reason why I don't get a newer (new) ute , ( I would absolutely love a new car /ute ) but I also love and am fortunate to aford what I have ( I also go I can aford this new or I could get this second hand) .
Have only ever bought 3 new vechices ( they've all been bikes ) , my very first one ( a trail bike ) , then one in the mid/ late 90's and then because I stuck to a budget ( and was fortunate) after buying house in newy in 07 got the buell. ( am still fortunate in I can just afford .!! to run the bikes and cars . ( but I'm noticing every year it's getting harder) .
Vechices getting older ( more maintenance) and inflation,(cost of living).
PM me, or start a thread about your Buell (firebolt or lightning?) as am keen to hear more.
Don't want to sidetrack this thread though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Actually the drivers side is more of a pig than passenger side...the heater tap and steering rack get in the way and have to be moved,the rear most nut/stud on the drivers side is also a bit of a pain....the paccies are split so they maybe easier (only done gennie and advance brands) the stock ones can be gotten off without moving the rack, but you have to hold your tongue in a certain way and raise your right leg just right :D

Went to the wreckers today to start removing the Pacemakers off a VP. I have managed to get all the bolts off the heads. I had to remove a couple of things to get to the bolts but they all came out without too much hassle. Ratchet spanners made the job a lot easier, for rear bolt near the brake booster than it would have been without them. I need to go back, hopefully over weekend and get underneath to remove the Y pipe. However that means jacking the car up as nearly all the wrecks are sitting on the ground and not up on welded rims like other self serve wreckers. They have a 4WD forklift but they make you use the floor jack and rims or blocks to hold it up. I run out of time this arvo but they are mine as I have paid for them and my name is down as paid.
On another note my O2 sensor arrived so I hope to get that in on Sunday arvo. I ended up buying a Delphi O2 sensor as the other ones on eBay for the VR were all cheap junk. I actually found some joker had listed a 2 wire Bosch and said it suited VR and VS??? I told him he was wrong and he says, sorry mate listed incorrectly, right....... Just damn lucky I didn't order it.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Forgot to mention I grabbed a couple of the parts that the leads clip into, which holds them on the engine off the wreck today while I was there. Mine broke a while back as they were extremely brittle and more or less fell apart when I replaced the leads. Loving this self serve wrecker as I really love just going in a grabbing random things that are damaged on the ute and getting them for a song. Thinking about getting a couple new rocker covers as there are stacks of them without any damage. I mended the cracks in the top of mine but it would be nice to have everything in the engine bay looking like is in good shape. I like the idea of having the ute looking the best it can for an old bus, without going to big expenses. It's never gonna be a collectors item but it would be nice to have it as good as I can get it for what it is, and it only costs a few bucks for cheap little bits from the wrecker.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
keep your eye out for some VN series1 rocker covers they are alloy and as rare as hens teeth.....