Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have been and seen the engine machinist next to work and have ordered a Permaseal VRS and Nason lifters. He quoted me $195 each which is a pretty good price not sure if that is plus GST or not? Even so it's the best priced kits I have been able to find anywhere, unless I buy cheap gaskets. Lifters best online price was $209. I might have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive but that's cool, if it means I won't have to pay freight because he gets them in with other stock order.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Apparently my parts have arrived. I spoke the parts lady next door and she is ok with me fixing up for them tomorrow, rather than pull money from redraw.... lol. Still waiting for the estimate on the heads, its been over two weeks and I'm wanting to find out if I'm up for a ton of money or something like $700. I have called him a few times, so he must be getting sick of me calling......:rolleyes:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
.... or he adds $50 every time you call!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I hope not lol. He said he was going to call me by Tues last week with the estimate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20200909_145936_resized.jpg

I didn't want to wait so slipped next door and grabbed my parts. Ended up costing $429 including GST. Worked out cheaper than anyone else I could buy them from.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Was hoping I might have had the estimate on the heads by now, but nup..... I called the bloke again yesterday and he still hadn't looked at them. Bummed, because I can't plan until I know what I'm up for. I'm not going to call him again until late next week. Poor bugger must be under the pump. I suspect that he might be gettinga million calls asking for info as he builds race engines. I was told he is constantly on the phone. Bloke asked if I wanted a job? I'd say the boss might have taken me on too if I was in the market but halving my fortnightly wage is not something I want. It would be fun to learn how to do full builds and use equipment. It would save me a ton of money lol. But when approaching 50 I'm not looking to change jobs anytime in the next few years, especially when I am eligible for LSL in another 5 years and prorata if they make me redundant in the next two years.
In another thread I asked about doing my own comp test. I was going to pay and get it done but if my 30 year old comp tester still works I will do it myself and save 90 bucks. Way things are going time wise it could be Christmas before the heads come off the ute.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Keep on the good side with your engine builder. Another 5 years of putting up with your ‘customers’ may make a job where you have your own work bench, with set tasks, look good even with a pay cut.
That is what I did, tossed in a good paying job at age 60 because I got the shits with it. Some may call it ‘mental beakdown’, but I called it ‘nausea and fatigue’ …….. ie sick and tired of customers and management.
After taking a pay cut, less tax, less my super contribution, less petrol costs, no shift work, plus employers 9% super levy, I didn’t miss out on any $$$. After going from full time, to part time, to casual, to ‘give me ring if you need me’, finally retired at 70. Winner. ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just t went to a backyard wrecker who sells on FB. I was hoping to grab some parts, or place deposit on some and collect later. Turned out the body parts I wanted, as spares were in rough shape. I might still get a few things but gonna come down to price. I think for condition the price needs to come down, as I can buy new panels for the same as what it will to repair and paint some of the things he had.
My ute is a pretty good one and so I kinda look out for parts as good or better than n what I already have.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20200913_162021_resized.jpg

Picked these up today, all three for $50. Mine are ok but there are holes in them and a patch of filler, which has cracked from flexing, from carrying the RD. Also picked up a pair of tail light housings for $30, from the same bloke. I also placed a deposit on a pretty good pair of bumprettes, which I scored for $80 the pair. I want to grab a gutter strip for the passenger side, as mine is not perfect, and I like everything really decent. Think I mentioned the bonnet he had needed a paint and chips filled. I am on the hunt for a bonnet but hopefully one I can just buff. The wrecker had one like that but I'm not sure if it's still there. I figure if I need to paint one I might as well wire wheel my spare and paint it. I would anyway but paint is expensive. Plus I haven't painted in 2k and it might not be as forgiving for a novice like myself.
Next step though is to try and source a bar cover that doesn't need welding. Mine has a crack and getting it welded and painted without having it off for a week would be hard, especially if I can find a good one for around 80 - 100 bucks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wanted to call the machinist this arvo but I held off. I know the bloke is under the pump but I'm also hanging to find out what shape my heads are in. I don't mind if it's eight to get them done but I really want to know if I can spend some coin on stuff now, or if I need to keep my money because the bill for the heads is gonna hit hard.
I really want to head to the wrecker and grab a second Stato seat for the passenger side, plus see if they have a decent bar cover and maybe a chip free white bonnet.