Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20200924_173427_resized.jpg

Picked this up today, it looks the bomb, so much better than the job I did a couple of years ago, or thereabouts. I managed to get it done for $150. He knocked off $10 because I swung past the upholstery supplies and picked up a roll of webbing for him. I might get the old one out tonight or at least started, depending on how I feel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just spent an hour or so on the old headliner removal. I got the windscreen pillar trims off and both need replacing. They were damaged when I last took them off, as some rough arse before me had snapped the clips off and had glued them on with silicone. Fortunately I had a couple of pretty good ones from the wagon wreck. One has a little scratch where I think it meets the windscreen. The mark maybe hidden or I may need to brush touch it up. I got all the silicone off the pillar, including the extra sealant that I put on when I did the headliner last time. I found the drivers side quarter window might have been replaced as there is windscreen sealant stuck to the rear trim. I'm hoping I can slide the headliner out and leave the trim in place. I don't want to pull on it and snap it as these are hard to find now, being ute specific. I will finish the job tomorrow night and will hopefully insulate it too as was recommended by @Fu Manchu . I have the passenger side visor off and all the trims on that side off too. I had to leave the drivers side visor on as I will be driving into the sun to and from work tomorrow.
20200924_201229_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just found these on Repco, not sure if they would be available when they have 25% off next but worth a try.
https://www.repco.com.au/en/seat-co...oor-mats-charcoal-2-piece-tpg29062/p/A5430236
I still need to sort the carpet but need to wait until next year really need as much deposit for the new house build as I can, and I still have around $900 still owing on the heads.

Also found SCA have replacement tailgates, considering finding a good one like mine is near impossible it's good to know there are other options at a pretty reasonable price. I have a couple of tiny dings in mine that need massaging out but the local paint-less dent bloke seems to have a problem working on an old Commodore ute..... I'd like to hit it with some paint to tidy up the chips but need dents fixed first and Dents Away, who would fix it is in Sellicks Adelaide...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20200925_123702_resized.jpg

Picked these up today $20 for two sets. I need to clean one set up and spray a bit of silver on it as it has a small amount of surface rust.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Paint will have to do, anything else and I might have as well bought new bars.
I‘ve always wanted to try electroplating at home so found that doc.
But my post was tongue in cheek and not a serious comment :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did a bit more on the headliner install tonight. I went the in-laws to borrow his carport and lights. I got maybe another hour done but I realised I left the crimp lugs behind so couldn't actually finish. See I am wiring up my Stato door trim lights and have to chop into the cables on the interior light. I have pretty much run the cables. I now need to tap in to the cables that run to the interior light and then I need to get some solder joiners from Jaycar as the cable that works the drivers side needs to have a join in it as I didn't buy enough cable, six or so months ago when I fed it through the door hinge boot, I was about 1 - 1.5 metres short.
However, on a positive note I did do a quick test and found that if I plumb in to both sides of the interior light, the courtesy light comes on. on the drivers side. I still have to run cable through the passenger side door hinge boot and up to the courtesy light on that side. However I will probably wait a week or two until I get my new mirror painted and fitted on the passenger side before I go to the bother of removing trims and running cables.
I found I had a bit of surface rust on the inside of the roof. So I buffed that off and hit it tonight with some primer. Tomorrow I will spray a bit of rattle can paint to seal it off before I finish getting the headliner back in.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just spent bit over an hour again this morning on the headliner, it's slow progress. Wiring up the courtesy lights has been a bit of a nightmare. The idea was to use crimp lugs but they struggle to hold on tight enough. I ended up wasting at least six and now I have run out. I have changed plans slightly and the wife is now picking me up some fat solder joiners. I have decided I will run a jumper lead from the light and attach it to the P and N cables using the solder joiners. One it will sit flatter but mainly for strength. There will still be four lugs used two red and two yellow, all of which seem to have held tight.

I think the effort will be worth it when I'm finished but this supposed 2hr total remove and refit of the headliner is looking much more like a 5-6hr job, all because I want silly door lights......lol

20200926_112243_resized (002).jpg