Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I had originally thought of this scenario, but I must admit that hail damage on a ute wouldn't warrant the skins replacement, on a wagon or sedan maybe, but not on a ute as there's a far smaller area to repair and lightly fill opposed to the extra work that's encompassed in a full skin replacement.

Well, my mate's was certainly replaced.

It did look like a blue golf ball though.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I guess that the East Coast has some huge hail storms compared to what we get here in Adelaide.

I remember the damage that was caused during that 1999 Hail storm in Sydney that smashed roofs left right and centre. All the tile recyclers here sent all their available stocks of tiles to Sydney, so from that the damage to a vehicles roof would certainly justify it's total replacement.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I guess that the East Coast has some huge hail storms compared to what we get here in Adelaide.
Back in 2016 I remember 1 of our company Falcon sedans was written off due to hail. It was parked in a suburb near Burnside SA when the hail hit.
The car was a bog stock Falcon sedan only about 4 or 5 years old maximum with under 100,000kms. It had multiple dents in every panel and pillars apart from doors. No broken windows.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-11/hail-the-size-of-golf-balls-pelts-adelaide/8019066

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sydney had a huge hail storm some years ago (1999?) that also hit the airport. The end result was about two dozen airplanes with dimpled skins over the fuselage and wing surfaces. Can such even be repaired? I’d think reskinning a plane would be much more of a remanufacture than repair and if done, done with much better QC/QA that is afforded to our car repairs :) But planes fly through storms all the time and I’m sure the international insurers knew the risks so factored it into the premiums ;)

It’s the same for the local insurance industry in terms or risk/reward which their actuaries work out. Sadly, knowing the risk and factoring it into the premium doesn’t stop these insurance companies from crying poor and upping their premiums as a result of some event. it’s double dipping in one sense :confused::mad:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1601436515154.png

Gotta love Aust Post. est del 12/10....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
and to think their CEO is on the highest money for a public servant within Australia. If only they actually employed some people instead of posting redundancies everywhere within their system.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I ordered something from NSW and it only took a week through Aust post...That was only 2 weeks ago...So got me buggered what's going on there

Back in August I bought some stuff off 3 seperate sellers within NSW... Only took a week for that stuff to arrive as well

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Losh you would only have the standard single high note horn which is pretty average, but add the low note additional Calais unit and it is pretty damm loud. I have these fitted to all of our 4 Vs vehicles and no one has ever missed those. The good thing is they mount on the standard mounting points behind the front bar on the RHS and the best part is you use the normal wiring and don't have to mess around with it. There are just a set of small jumpers added so as to feed power from one unit to the second.
I managed to pick up a pair of Stato horns for 10 bucks today. Question is how do I wire these in. The horn harness feeds back into the main harness right back? It's four green wires and a few plugs. I didn't see any jumper lead. Bloke chopped me probably 300mm of harness but there appeared to be no where visible to disconnect it anywhere.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I also managed to pick up a Stato passenger seat for $50 from the same private seller. Only slight issue is it's a later model one thatnthe one I have already. This one has a slight pattern in the material, where as my drivers seat is the one without the patterned material, same colour and all just not a proper match. Issue is finding the same one in Tas is basically impossible, they have just become too rare. I'm happy with the price and I could sell it all day long for what I paid for it, if it doesn't go in. What I'd love is to have the new seat and the middle seat recovered in the same material as my Stato drivers seat but I'd hate to think of the cost of such a mod.