Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
Keep chipping away at it losh don't let it get to you. Yes best laid plans always turn to s*** but your still ticking off all the things you want to just not as fast as you wanted I'm tipping. Keep up the good work

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks mate, I just need to learn to be patient and not try to rush it through because yeah it takes 5 hrs instead of 20 mins. Rushing costs money because it rarely works out well. Lol

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
For me, however long it takes, is when its finished.

5 minute job, will take me 20 - 100 hours, maybe :) if l'm lucky. If not, 500 hours. Well, like l said, when its finished. 1000 hours?

I've been making a centre piece for the console dash, 4 months, so far. I keep on breaking it.:mad: hahahaha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20201013_130726_resized_1.jpg

Been quoted $260 to paint these two. Anyone have any ideas if I can feather this out and have resprayed. So far I have been told both need stripping and repaint. I can get a pair of unpainted ones painted for $180. I have tried to find newly painted ones but they don't exist on Google. I paid $60 for the pair and it will be a shame if I have to throw them in the spares tub. I'm just not sure if there is any cheaper alternative. Bit annoyed I bought them now, since it might be cheaper to just go paint the ones I have from the wagon, providing they work.

I don't think my painting skills are good enough to spray these in 2k and have them looking good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have done some testing and hoping someone can help? I am trying to avoid yet another thread created by Losh......

So here it is, the actuator plug has five wires, black/red, black/yellow, brown, brown and black/ground.

Now, I have power with the fob pressed on black/red.

The black/yellow and first brown I have nothing.

But if I ground the brown next to the black I hear a click in the BCM.

So basically I have two cables that are either operated buy another switch or possibly are connected the the slave and are only needed for the other side. I really don't know. This is as far as I can get with what I have to test with.

I'd love some insight if anyone knows and whether I have enough cables functioning to make it worthwhile spending a small fortune on a pair of actuators. I'm not keen to buy actuators if the other cables are not doing there job and will end up in the spare parts tubs never to be fitted.
So in regards to these it looks like the factory actuator are really rare, well on eBay they are anyway. Anyone know what models have the same as 94 VR? I'm going to need to try a wrecker I just won't get a warranty is the only thing.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
I think vs might be the same actuator but if the wiring plug is the same I don't know. Might even be vn to vs are the same. It might be long hours researching.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think vs might be the same actuator but if the wiring plug is the same I don't know. Might even be vn to vs are the same. It might be long hours researching.

I think most are the same but there was apparently a change in the plug in Series 3 VS. EBay seller's seem to claim VT are the same too.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
View attachment 215172

Been quoted $260 to paint these two. Anyone have any ideas if I can feather this out and have resprayed.

I don't think my painting skills are good enough to spray these in 2k and have them looking good.
Personally, if it was me, I'd try to think laterally and consider it an opportunity to learn something new.
Next time I was in town I would go to a car wrap/sign business, show them the mirrors, and ask if they could colour match with some 3M vinyl (& buy 2x to 4x as much as they say is needed) and sell me one of those flexible small plastic scraper things they use. They might give you an old used one for nothing if you approach them at the right time on a Friday arvo. ;-) Off home with a spray bottle for water, a shrink gun (or hair drier) and watch some youtube vids. It's a wrap! Total failure won't do any damage to them and you can have a few goes to get it right. If you're anything like me, you can out-stubborn a challenge even if it takes a few days to do so.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
If I look on this site once a week It's guaranteed there's 5 new pages on your thread I cannot keep up with it haha.

Painting mirrors is easy as. Think about it, $20 for a rattle can, $20 for clear, $10 for some sand paper and crap. Mask it off, give it a go, if it looks ****, sand it back and respray.

Took me 2 attempts for my first time. Looks really good from a distance. Not perfect but still really good. I'll probably re do them one day but for now I'm content.

Plus no one will notice if you stuff it anyway. Most mirrors are a mess so anything shiny and glossy looks better than most.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Here is a great product recomended by a mate of mine. Used it a couple of times on plastic pieces.

Is it sold in Down Under?

BULLDOG® ADHESION PROMOTER - AEROSOL

Bulldog® Adhesion Promoter is designed exclusively to promote adhesion to polyolefin plastics. The convenient one-component aerosol is perfect for spot repairs and dries in 5 minutes.