Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Paid another $400 off my heads today and dropped off the valve stem seals. Bloke reckons it will be another 2 weeks before they have them ready. I'm ok with that as I still owe $500 thereabouts. I'm hoping that they might come in under the quoted price.
I spent some more money last night. SCA had a deal so I spent $80 to get $20 in credit. I bought 2L of etch and 2L of clear. I want to do some more painting on the ute when the weather warms up. I still need Alaskan White acrylic. I want to repaint the roof as you can see a difference in shade because I didn't bother painting the whole thing when I scratched the roof a while back. This time I will get it really good as I will take plenty of time to get it just right. I am considering painting the bonnet in acrylic too but not sure if I will pay for it to be done in 2k. Issue with that will be cost $400 or so to paint the bonnet in 2k, plus $25 for a new emblem.
I really have a ton of painting to do and just not sure where to stop. If I paint it myself I will need to use acrylic, simply because of the ease of application and ability to fix runs quickly, compared to 2k. But 2k is needed on some parts and that will mean labor costs.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
By the sounds of it, it would be best for you to paint the whole ute in acrylic, rather than the bits and pieces you seem to be doing over time.

It'll allow you to finish one thing and move to the next, rather than half finish one thing, before moving to the next half finish job

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
By the sounds of it, it would be best for you to paint the whole ute in acrylic, rather than the bits and pieces you seem to be doing over time.
Some things are better done in 2k. Painting the whole ute will be $8k or more. While it would be nice to paint the whole ute, the total cost is just too much. I probably have $1500 worth of painting to do if I just paint the few things that need doing.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How does acrylic last for you? I had to ban myself from acrylic as it only lasts 4 or 5 years ok Im baseing this on group 3 colors which require a clear over it, that breaks down to crows feet with in 3 or so years in the sun. It looked good off the gun but didn't last.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It seems to be lasting ok, but in spots that get knocked it's just not durable enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Started working on the new tub side rails today. I managed to sandblast the rusty tie points on the underneath on both rails. I went through 20kg of sand and run out. I had to use a homemade tip in the blaster as the sand was too sharp for even the largest ceramic tip. Issue with large tip is you churn through $15 worth of sand in less than 10 mins of actual abrasive blasting..
I wire wheeled the rest if one rail, which took a long time. I thought I didn't bring the paint stripper with me from Town, as I couldn't find it, until I looked in a bucket I packed and found it in there.
I managed to get some etch on, so that should Keep it from rusting. Next job will be to start the other rail and get the paint off, this week before heading out here again next weekend. I'd like to buy some 2k primer and 2k white, but looking at around $150 and I still have to pay for the remaining $500 on the heads. I may have to wait until the weather warms up anyway and a drop in humidity. Tank is getting some reasonable moisture in it. I have a big trap but if it gets a lot it can come through a tad. Its pouring rain right now, so not surprised the air was pretty moist.
20201024_132508_resized_1.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been working on the other rails. Glad I took all the paint off as some is not VS baked enamel. I can tell by the enamel being really hard to penetrate while some other layers are bubbling up within 5 minutes. I noticed on the tailgate rail some surface rust, which seems to indicate poor prep work by some person who last painted these.
I am going to wire wheel the rest of the paint off now that I have the bulk of it is roughly done.
20201025_131001_resized.jpg
20201025_130956_resized.jpg

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have now wire wheeled the other two rails. I have run into a slight problem. The issue I have found after spending an hour on the tailgate rail is someone has glued it on to the wreck I pulled it from. Of course now most of the inside is wavy as, because it didn't simply unbolt. I now need to either pull mine off the ute and strip and wire wheel it, or I need to find someone handy with a dolly and hammer. Finding a good replacement is near impossible. Without pulling mine off the ute I can't be sure if the one I have is even good enough to spend a couple of hours, prepping and painting. I think I have to find someone who can straighten it, and not charge me too much. There is no way I can do it myself.
20201025_151000_resized.jpg
20201025_142946_resized.jpg
20201025_142930_resized.jpg
20201025_151010_resized.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I think I have to find someone who can straighten it, and not charge me too much. There is no way I can do it myself.
Is your father in law up to the task? If he is, can you ask him?

Or maybe its time to get the panel beaters kit, & have a go yourself?