Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So no real update. I haven't received the call that my heads are ready :( which leaves me with 5hrs tomorrow morning for them to have them to me or I definitely won't be fitting them myself. I actually spoke to the wife tonight and said the way I am feeling because work is just manic and is set to get worse next week and for the four weeks following, I may even just pay to have them fitted. I now earn pretty reasonable money and I have a ton of things I could be doing instead of hunched over an engine getting a sore back..... So the decision to pay 4-5hrs labour is certainly gaining enthusiasm.....

The few bucks to do the job is no longer my main issue, it's more the flack from certain members who seem to think that if you pay some bastard to do the work, then you can't call your thread a "build thread", one of those people are no longer here. But I am thinking I don't care what they think, I've done plenty of jobs on the ute and can call it "my build thread " if I like....

I said to the wife I have to factor the cost of my time and I could get a lot done in the 8-10hrs it will take me to swap the heads. Plus it's stuff I don't have to think about, especially with the all the goings on at work and the extra things I have had to do at work lately because I have staff too look after, but as the HR boss said " welcome to management".... Or as I say to my staff, who see me tearing my hair out "that's why they pay me the big bucks".....

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Really, who gives a toss if you get someone to put it together?

Losh stop worrying about what ppl think. You'll never build the car you want listening to others. Go with your heart and head. If the wallet permits let it be someone else's problem.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes and this is me sometimes in my shed, when things don't go my way...... I think Ephect for this job it will be easier and less headache if I can drop it off the night before and pick it up the next day after work...... I still have plenty to go on with this weekend but it means my entire five days off won't be going flat out.... Instead I could even head down to the wharf, and drop in a line, like I used to do but haven't done for a very long time......

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Remember to see it as a hobby not a competition or peer pressure.

If you can do the job yourself & willing to put in the time do it...if you can't or not 100% you'll get outcome you want then that's when weigh up if it's worth paying someone else to do.

There are jobs I can do myself yet sometimes farm job out 'cos it's a mongrel of a job or just no time to do it myself & needs to be done asap.

Do think you get tad caught up in it at times when you should take a breather & get back into it because you want to work on it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah sometimes things become a chore, sure it would be nice to fit them myself but it means going like a bastard for five days so I can get everything on my list done and not taking time out to relax.... I think if I didn't leave at 7.30 each morning and get back at 6.30 most eves I'd have plenty of time to get stuff done. But yeah I will have to go flat chat as I have a few other things on the ute that need to be done this weekend too. Like fixing that rattly drivers window because the door seal fell off and was never glued back on, or going for a drive up home and mowing the grass and picking up parts along the way to see if I can get my factory central locking working, plus grab a spare DFI while I am there. Yeah no shortage of things to repair when you own an old jalopy VR Commodore.

If it wasn't a DD then I could take my time over a week or two and just potter and make it an enjoyable experience, bit like prepping and priming the bumper cover has been......

Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
it's more the flack from certain members who seem to think that if you pay some bastard to do the work, then you can't call your thread a "build thread"

Don't waste your time and energy on what some random on the internet you've never met thinks.

Says some random on the internet you've never met. :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Turned out that the heads will be up to another week before I get them back. Therefore even if I wanted to fit them myself I wasn't going to be able to regardless.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just replaced the inside rubber window strip that always falls down inside the door on these old buses. Got advice from VS-lover on how to do it. Worked out in the end, but I needed to grab the passenger door one off the old wagon. I must have missed the part when VSL told me the strip clips on to the door and the rubber seal glues to that. I tried doing it with the piece that clips to the door still attached. Almost had it good but it cocked down at the rear. In trying to prise the seal off I found out the whole thing is not glued as thought but clipped.

Anyway second time round it came out sweet, I just had to trim the rear end as it was fouling on the window frame. While I was there I swapped the hinge strap and used a passenger side one. Much to my surprise they can go on either side, which worked out really good, because the passenger side one was in very good condition and now the door stays open and doesn't hit you when your working on the ute.

I was hoping I could have fitted my power mirrors as the ones on there as I mentioned before were chopped along with the factory harness. Issue is I need to get mine repainted, and I have been quoted $130ea. I wish I could buy a new pair but can not find anyone selling them, even after an hour or two of searching. Just means both door trims need to come back off, which is annoying but has to be done.

I will add this 40min job ended up taking over three hours, as like often does things didn't go to plan...

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pressure washed the new seat for the passenger side. It came up quite nice. Tomorrow hopefully I will be pulling out the bench and removing the seat base and backrest and swapping it over with something a little better. Plan is to keep the centre seat as I still need to carry a second passenger at times. Ideally what I'd love to do is find some similar material to the the Stato covers and have the middle seat recovered. Other option is I get lambs wool covers when my canvas ones wear out and have a middle seat cover made.

20201121_181903_resized.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
looks good