Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I took some seats appart and threw the upholstery in the washing machine. Skipped the dryer and let them air dry.

The problem that I see using a pressure washer is that might bring Mold and/or corrosion to the metal parts.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been tearing down the ute today. Plan is to head up home tomorrow and do some painting on the ute. I want to paint the roof again as I did a quick patch job a while back and there is an outline where the different shade sits. I also want to finish the side rails. I have replacements etch primed and ready for primer and paint. As I will be using acrylic I will need to cover the rails in tape or leave the tonneau cover off for a few weeks. I plan on painting the mirrors is well. Got everything washed so tomorrow will be sanding, quick wash and blow on some Alaskan.
I have a couple of new tonneau support bars to go on when my bar mounts arrive. It will be good to not have the cover sink down at the back when on the highway.
I need to try and source a new rear window seal but have no idea where to get one? Nothing comes up on Google and none on eBay. Mine is damaged and has also shrunk 30mm I did glue it in but it's come away and looks terrible.
I'm also hoping to source some front door weather strips in better condition than the four I have. My spares are rock hard and the ones on the ute aren't sitting down like they should. Trying to find a pair with good rubber might be the only issue.
20201122_170713_resized_1.jpg
20201122_170643_resized.jpg
20201122_170653_resized.jpg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I need to try and source a new rear window seal but have no idea where to get one? Nothing comes up on Google and none on eBay. Mine is damaged and has also shrunk 30mm I did glue it in but it's come away and looks terrible.

I know that you do a lot of searching, and I have no idea of the seal profile, but Clarke Rubber, Windscreens O'Brien, or similar ??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Fig I will try a windscreen place. Surely they can still be bought new.The million dollar question will be price. I'd be happy at 50 bucks.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
looks like someone is improving in the painting departing :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20201123_180644_resized(1).jpg
20201123_180701_resized(1).jpg
20201123_180739_resized(1).jpg
Managed to get the white on everything this arvo. I had a bit of trouble with the roof, paint needed way more thinners than I started with. I did the edges with the touch up gun and applied it with plenty of shine but on the front using the big gun it came out too dry. Tomorrow I will have to rub in down and hit it with a thinned out wet coat. I have a couple of ripples in the rear edge of the roof, so I need to try and get them out some more. I thought I actually had but I should have dust coated it and gave it a rub back, when everything is flat you struggle to see the ripples that shine shows. I have just enough paint to do one last rub back and and thinish coat. Sometime tomorrow I will give it a thick coat of clear, as I have 2L of it.
I got a tiny run in one of the mirrors, right on the edge. I'm gonna wait until tomorrow and see how much it shrinks back before I try and fix it, as I may rub through if I start working on it.

Last edited:

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Stop it. You're making me feel inadequate that I can't be asred to tidy mine up in the body department.

That said, having only a single tidy and unblemished panel on the whole thing (being the tray) I have zero effs to give in a carpark because you have to be seriously talented to damage that panel with an errant door. :)

Saw earlier that you were concerned what others through about not doing all the work yourself. I take some pride in doing all of the work on mine (and there's a lot to do) by myself, and saving the $$$ in the bargain while also keeping me off the streets and giving me something to get out bed early for on days I don't need to go to work.

The short answer is that it's your beasty, and you can do whatever the heck you want to it and do it however the heck you want to do it and anyone who gives you grief can go do whatever the heck they want to themselves and shut the #@$# up. I might even say you're a blowhard for not fitting the heads yourself and you'd rightly tell me to go pee up a rope, and I'd gladly buy the rope and present it to you in a nice, carved gift box. If you pay off someone to do the job and go catch some dinner while they do, great. You get to put some cash in the pocket of someone who's earned it and happy to have the work and you got to take some time out to reset and just 'live'. If you can afford to get the work done and decide it's the thing to do, nobody has any say in that decision, unless they're also willing to pay for the job to be done (be that in time or their own labour).

And the better half, if she's a good one, would much rather see you spend the money and you have a 'you' day. I know mine would, but she also knows that doing the work myself is what makes me happy.

And her car, I don't work on. I farm that out because I can. Took enough for her to finally take it as 'her' car, no way I'm going to cheap out and service it myself. ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s a really nice white 5ltr VS/VR ute on white 19’s that gets around near mine. Always makes me think of your ute.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
View attachment 216573View attachment 216574View attachment 216575Managed to get the white on everything this arvo. I had a bit of trouble with the roof, paint needed way more thinners than I started with. I did the edges with the touch up gun and applied it with plenty of shine but on the front using the big gun it came out too dry. Tomorrow I will have to rub in down and hit it with a thinned out wet coat. I have a couple of ripples in the rear edge of the roof, so I need to try and get them out some more. I thought I actually had but I should have dust coated it and gave it a rub back, when everything is flat you struggle to see the ripples that shine shows. I have just enough paint to do one last rub back and and thinish coat. Sometime tomorrow I will give it a thick coat of clear, as I have 2L of it.
I got a tiny run in one of the mirrors, right on the edge. I'm gonna wait until tomorrow and see how much it shrinks back before I try and fix it, as I may rub through if I start working on it.

Looking good !