Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tune probably needs touch up due to changes.
AFRs are slightly lean at WOT, 5k. Not dangerous but a tad lean. We don't have a tuner in Tas, so would need a trip interstate. Probably wait and see if I can source an SC at the right price, and then get dyno tuned. It would be good if I could find someone who could remap Memcal for me if I send them one with stock tune. I have 3 or 4 spare Memcals.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What is this filter?! My interest in piqued!
Search third failed water pump in VR forum, Immortality made a post with a link early in the thread. Thread is locked due to a trouble maker, so couldn't quote post.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'll try and find the link.
Hold my beer...

What is this filter?! My interest in piqued!

The thread:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/third-failed-water-pump-wtf.277497/

The link:
“Immortality” said:
Chuck on the used pump and send the other back to get your money back and they can see the mode of failure. Weeping from the hole means the seal has failed. Water pumps use a ceramic seal which don't like particle contamination so definitely filter the used coolant when re-filling. You can also get something like this

http://www.derek.com.au/tefbafilter.html

Our VX has done 230,000km and is still on it's original pump, I do have a spare on the shelf so no doubt it will last until a mate or somebody else borrows my new/spare...

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey man. This guy is down the road from me. Just dropped a video on painting plastics. A bit late for the bumper maybe, but here it is anyway

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
And some say a filter is a gimmick. Well this my friends is why I run a filter in my cooling system. Thanks @immortality for putting me onto them.View attachment 217587
wow o_O that's a lot of sheet coming of your block, saw this a lot in teardowns from from engines that had been cooked and then revived to sell car/drive again, lucky you installed that filter, save you further repairs to pump and radiator.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I still have some plastic to paint, it's those rear pillar trims. They have been a bastard as the paint lifted.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just removed the bell mouth and noticed it revs a bit higher on start up idle than before. Starts at about 1200 and after 30 seconds only drops to 1000. I checked the gasket wasn't damaged when bolting the elbow back on. It used to start at about 1000 and soon drop back to 800.
Is this something to do with learning, or is the old VR PCM not advanced enough for that?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The bellmouth alters airflow inside the manifold quite a bit. It might take a few start cycles for the IAC to adjust.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Might have to buy another ecu & upgraded gear so you can data log it...send logs to pcm peep they send memcal.Rinse/repeat.

Got most of the gear for my vp...just not enough patience or energy to suss it out properly with my shift roster/job

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I could data log with AED but don't know anyone who has same software and can write a tune.