Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's either going to be DFI or CAS. I just don't know whether it's the second hand DFIs dying because they are old or if it's something causing them to fail.
Hopefully it's not a CAS, as I don't have a puller or a rattle gun close by to get the bolt off and no one is open this week to drop it off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm tipping it's the DFI.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It seems to have been a problem ever since I first had the DFI fail a fair few months back and at the same time a burnt coil post. I just don't know what the problem is? I'm hesitant to buy brand new DFI in case I have something taking them out.
I have new coils, plugs and leads to fit so will fit those with another DFI, be it new or SH.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Think I might have found the no spark problem. I no longer think it is the DFI. I replaced it and it started, I then tested the one that I thought was suspect and it fired. I am thinking it is either an issue with the TPS cables or it's the CAS. Google suggests it's not the TPS, but I can't find anything about no spark and TPS problems on a Commodore, only on Jap cars. I'm thinking it is more likely the CAS. The CAS is probably only a year or two old but the one prior failed at around 12 months old and it took a few months to finally figure out what the issue was.
CAS is not something I can replace, so I need to wait until the local garage opens, which could be 4th or it might be the 11th.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Seems like you may need to invest in a cheap oscilloscope as the waveforms are rather telling of the condition of the sensors, or so i'm told.

Even with a crow, it can be difficult to develope the understanding of why a waveform is malformed and what you can do about it (other than change parts as teh dealers do)...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It does seem you have electrical gremlins with that car, with constant spark related starting issues.

I would be tempted to have all the wiring related to this part of the car replaced and new parts installed upon this being done...

Yes, it is difficult especially when it is a daily, but constant spark related starting issues seem to point in that direction

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It does seem you have electrical gremlins with that car, with constant spark related starting issues.

I would be tempted to have all the wiring related to this part of the car replaced and new parts installed upon this being done...

Yes, it is difficult especially when it is a daily, but constant spark related starting issues seem to point in that direction

It's about $60 labor to swap the CAS. I probably shouldn't expect anything more than a year or two from a Delphi junk sensor.....
It would be well in excess of $1000 to replace the harness. It would literally be 10-15hrs of work removing the pins from plugs and fitting them onto new cables. Then trying to match cables would be pretty much impossible as the colour codes wires would not be available, so I'd end up with needing a new wiring diagram. Best I can hope for is to try and find an old loom and chop the plugs off for what I need and have 10cm or so of new cable soldered onto the old harness.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's about $60 labor to swap the CAS. I probably shouldn't expect anything more than a year or two from a Delphi junk sensor.....
It would be well in excess of $1000 to replace the harness. It would literally be 10-15hrs of work removing the pins from plugs and fitting them onto new cables. Then trying to match cables would be pretty much impossible as the colour codes wires would not be available, so I'd end up with needing a new wiring diagram. Best I can hope for is to try and find an old loom and chop the plugs off for what I need and have 10cm or so of new cable soldered onto the old harness.

I know it would be a pain in the rectum replacing the loom, but it just seems with all the spark related electrical issues you seem to be having, this seems to be what may be causing it....

Yes, I know it is a big stab in the dark, but surely having various things fail the way you have had them fail has got to have something else happening in the back ground

Do any of these items have a seperate earth? Maybe replace the earth wire, with the appropriate cleaning and see if that solves the problem...And yes I know, I am clutching at straws by throwing these sorts of comments out

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd be very hesitant to replace the entire harness. The heads with the problems I had took 23hrs to fit plus $2k in parts and machining. I can't justify now replacing an entire loom. I do appreciate the idea just cost wise it's just too much money for this old jalopy. Replacing three plugs with a new 10cm of cable will be enough I think. There is no problems with the DFI plug and at least 10cm of cable as I already spent an hour's labour having it checked a while ago when the 12-18month old CAS failed.
Honestly it comes down to quality of parts and Delphi is proving to be of substandard over the last few years. Local garage is getting warranty claims from failed Delphi parts. Classic example was the Delphi oil pressure that went on not long after my chain was replaced which was around 16 months ago and was replaced under warranty this weekend gone. I'd go gen but at $400 for a DFI it's a big outlay and if something took it out I'd be spewin.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhhh spoke to soon, ute now won't start again........ Looks like another flatbed...... I can't win. hahaahaha