Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Been reading up on JC and according to posts by Black VX who quoted the FSM the TPS is not adjustable. I even tried moving it what I could which was about 1/2 a mm of slop in the screw holes and no difference. I have fitted three or four TPS in this ute and never had high voltage issue. Every time the TPS has failed it has been stuck in what I think is first.

I just hope driving it without any shifts the other week to get out of the city before calling the flatbed hasn't damaged the trans?

I actually thought it wasn't right soon after replacing it, before the engine came out but I just didn't think much of it, I thought I was imagining it. It wasn't until I wanted to test out the new heads out in the country away from traffic I got a CEL, followed up with shifting issues..

Well no, it's not adjustable. But that doesn't change the fact that there is some slop in the adjustment. I can make mine run **** by moving the TPS.

How are you fitting the TPS? They are spring loaded internally, when you undo the screws are you unloading the internal spring by rotating the TPS? And then fitting the new one by placing it on the butterfly shaft and rotating it to the correct position to fit the screws?

The correct way to check the TPS actually requires a Tech2 or datalogger of some description. You need to get the correct idle speed with the correct IAC steps and then verify the TPS voltage.

I don't think the trans will be damaged.

When it throws a CEL you should check the code as that will tell you straight away what the issue is.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How are you fitting the TPS? They are spring loaded internally, when you undo the screws are you unloading the internal spring by rotating the TPS? And then fitting the new one by placing it on the butterfly shaft and rotating it to the correct position to fit the screws?

When it throws a CEL you should check the code as that will tell you straight away what the issue is.

TPS voltage high. I just put it on, turn the TPS until the holes line up and that's it. Same way I have done it in the past.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Spoke to Repco and they are getting one up from Hobart and they are going swap the sensor over. It won't get fitted until possibly Sunday. Hopefully the sensor is the issue and not something else.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On a more pleasant note this is my view for the next two days.
20201231_162037_resized.jpg

Still itching to know if another new TPS wil fix my gear shifting problem. Not sure if I'd rather be here or home swapping over a part seeing if the TPS is the issue..... hahaha. I will still have the ignition problem anyway so any progress might be short lived, hahaha. But being a fairly determined bloke, I will eventually fix the bastard.....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was thinking, about this at lunch today.

In my line of work as a prostitute, we have a gadget that passes a signal down an isolated wire to find a broken wire or a valve that can’t be found. The signal is detected by a receiver that is waved across the ground and we can find where the cable goes or why the. Alive is under the ground. If there is a break in the wire, the signal stops dead and you can dig a hole and find the fault. No mucking around.

I’m wondering if the same gadget would work for fault finding wiring looms? Rather at the plug or in the loom.

A cheap one can be bought at Bunnings.
It would work it’s arse off.

@Jolls surely uses something similar in his line of work?

https://sunshoweronline.com.au/irri...d-valve-locators/holman-solenoid-valve-seeker

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Love Tassie. Got proposed to (By my best customer) at Freycint Lodge.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey Fu I will order some of that tape on the weekend. It looks good, shame it's not over the counter gear damn freight doubles the price. I will be having a look at the harness in coming months. Plan is to get the frayed cables fixed first then I'll unbolt a few ancillary parts and redo all the conduit. Plus I will make sure all the mini leads to the sensor have conduit over them as well. I will do what the factory should have done on the production line......

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20210103_132823_resized(1).jpg

And This My friends is the problem with Delphi..... It would see that the only possible place to get an OEM sensor is from Holden, if indeed they still have Mexican Delphi......?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well unfortunately it appears as if the sensor was not the issue. It will shift up but nail it from scooting along at 40-60kph and the CEL comes on. Then the gears won't change. Reset by pulling the PCM fuse and you get gear changes again. I am at the limit of my capability. Next step, I guess is having the frayed cables replaced and then see if the problem goes away.
Anyone think maybe the issue is removal of the bellmouth?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doubt it. If the CEL comes on when nailing the throttle I'm thinking it's a TPS over volt fault.

Is the little plastic sleeve still fitted on the end of the butterfly shaft?