Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I know but it never lasts.....main issue with heat paint is ppl don't bake it before fitting em, pretty hard finding an oven big enough for exhausts ;)... the only way to do the job once and forget is to ceramic coat em...cost a bit though....

I read it costs 300 bucks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pot belly/stove black paint...old school trick that works a treat & reusable.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What If you just let it idle for a while, that'll dry the paint!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
On another note I went to tap out the dent just in front of the tail light where the end of the tub is and the only access is the side panel over 200mm away. Now I need to get a slide hammer with tapered end on it and drill a hole behind the moulding and screw the fitting in and pull it out that way.

If you have access to a mig, tig or oxy you could tack weld a bit of around 3 or 4 mm rod or square bar on , weld a lip on other end and then grip with vice grips and hit them with a hammer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Father in law helped me with some panel beating in the rear quarter just in front of the taillight. Got it a fair bit better than it was but still could use some work. I might have to have another go at it myself and then put a bit of bog in to finish it off. Also replaced the bolts that secure the tub liner, with nice new galv bolts and washer. Now all six bolts look the same.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Gave the ute a really good wash this arvo. Also cleaned the windows inside and out with car glass cleaner, as well as wiped all the interior down. Debugged all the bumper and nudge bar with some Kitten cut & polish. Had a look over at what I can do on the ute that will cost none or very little as this fortnight things are a bit tight, but I want to keep doing what I can since I have some free arvos now that the house is on hold for a couple of months and my work hours have been cut back. Gonna bring back both my grinders to Town this week and with the wire wheel I am going to clean up the left tailgate hinge and give it a spray with some etch aerosol and white lacquer, all of which I have at home. Then the next job will be too clean all the silicone a previous owner has applied in a dodgy attempt to repair the sailplane and the quarter glass exterior window trims. Because the sailplane is cracked in 2 or 3 places I am going to squirt some expanda foam inside to help reinforce it and then I plan to grind out the cracks with a fine flapper disk and use some plastic filler to get it looking like it should then prime and paint. At this stage I am just use a can of plain white lacquer. Down the track when SCA have another special on Duplicolour pressure cans I will grab two and get the white a closer match as I can. I have lined up a meet with a bloke selling a Ryobi multi-speed buffe for $60, which is a pretty ok price I think for what it is. Couple of weeks time I will buff the whole ute. It's not gonna be prefect as it has some chips in the duco but I think a nice shiny ute will look 10x better than a dull one. Plus washing it will be easier as greasy marks will wash off shine duco a lot easier than my oxidised old paintwork.

Went to KTAS today to get a price on tyres. Later this year I will need some and I think I will replace all four most likely. Looking at Kumho's at $145 each. He said he would price match, so will look around closer to when I need them and see if I can get a better deal from KTAS. I think price of tyres has gone up this year because GT Radials (Champs) are a $135 each now and I last paid $120 each. Dunlop's were $145 and then are around a $170 each now. Must be the crappy Aust dollar, anyway can't be helped.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tyre prices go up every year...Nothing to do with the crappy Aussie dollar