Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Yeah and that is something I was thinking I will do next weekend. I have contact cleaner at home in the shed. I did that with my ALDL plug and put a couple of sprays of WD40 and pushed in the ALDL cable a few times to work it in.
Don't leave the WD40 on the contacts as it will attract dust. Only use contact cleaner.

Also be careful with WD40 as I have found it to rust freshly machined parts in a few weeks. Only use Castrol Rustilo and stored parts are still as new many months later.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Spoke to the machinist and he said he fitted standard Crow springs, which are basically good for a stage 2 cam. I did ask about the price and he said parts had gone up. Tad annoying because I paid a down payment for him to order the parts in.
On another note I asked the auto electrician about soldering in some new tail leads and he said this is ok. He seems to think that he can buy the plug kits. He said around $200 should have me covered. I may book it in for 2 weeks time, depending on finances. If I don't at least I know it can be done and I know a rough figure.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Springs too stiff can cause excess valvetrain stress/wear anyway and reduce efficiency.

So you may even be better off with the springs you have (putting the cost concerns aside).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don’t know which springs would be better in your application but your mechanic quoted for the job which included performance springs, and he took a deposit, so he should have delivered what he quoted.

If prices went up for some parts, well, he should carry the extra cost by reducing his margins.

If for any reason he wanted to install different parts than what were quoted, then he should have called you to discuss the possible change. But if price was at play, cause he was too slack to order parts, simply substituting for something else is what I’d call a classic bait and switch at the owners expense.

Maybe he’s good on the spanner s but this behaviour isn’t good business.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Springs too stiff can cause excess valvetrain stress/wear anyway and reduce efficiency.

So you may even be better off with the springs you have (putting the cost concerns aside).
Yeah after speaking to him about the standard Crows being plenty adequate I was a bit relieved anyway. When I saw the vid of the L67 build that blew (apparently because of single row chain) I was concerned that my single row might not have been up to the task, even though it's a stronger chain than the factory unit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe he’s good on the spanner s but this behaviour isn’t good business.

Apparently he is the man if you want top notch machining work dine, but bit annoyed when his response was they don't like parts sitting around. I thought if that was the case he could have got me to store them until he was ready. Not sure I will buy from him anymore, prices have gone up from when the original family owners had it. Machine shop next to work looked after me on the gasket set and lifters, because I work in a neighbouring business, think if I need more parts I will use next door from now on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Update on the stalling issue. I drove a good two hours with stopping and starting and traffic and its the warmest day we have had in at least 9 months and it didn't stall. My next step is to work the DFI plug with come contact cleaner later this week. Maybe it is just tarnished terminals on the plug?

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Being slugged extra from the original quote is bulldust....

When they take a deposit (which they are entitled to), they are surposed to order the parts in and wait for you to turn up for fitting. If you fail to turn up, they can send the parts back and keep the deposit, as some businesses charge for the return of parts....So that deposit is there to cover their costs for the returns. This seems to apply with speciality parts, which I would class your springs as

So if it was me, I reckon I'd be having a few sturn words with them in relation to lightening my wallet unnecessarily

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That might be the intermittent fault. I’m not sure if you are aware, but I have noticed that it is possible to buy replacement connectors for the DFI module? I assume that if this connector is available, it’s probably a common problem?

https://www.autopartssupply.com.au/holden-commodore-ignition-control-module-connector
Yeah they have been around for a while now. My DFI plug wiring is in pretty good shape, so at this stage I'd rather not splice a new plug in. However when it goes in for the splicing of the other three plugs, I will get them to check it and make sure it is still ok.