Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
OK, then just run the test gauge directly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have heard it said before about the pressure switch and it controlling the pump. I heard VP needs the oil pressure sender to switch on the pump.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So new genuine TPS fitted the other week has made a huge difference in most areas. Unfortunately boot it in 4th and it won't go back to 2nd. Instead it stays in 3rd throws a CEL which lasts 20 seconds and goes away. But then until you shut off the engine it won't go into 4th.
I need to go to the trans tech but he told me Wednesday he is booked out for three months and is not booking in new jobs.
No idea why the new TPS functions extremely well except for this one issue? Hopefully I can try the trans tech in 6-8 weeks and see if he will book me in. Even if its well into July or August at least I can get this problem eventually sorted.
I'll add the TPS harness has been repaired and TPS was fitted by the auto electrician, so everything should have been set up correctly.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do a fault code check. My bet is TPS high voltage.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do a fault code check. My bet is TPS high voltage.
Yep I might tomorrow. But I already have a pretty good idea it will be TPS voltage too high. When I had the faulty Delphi parts it logged too high, cheap Chinese SH TPS that was on its way out, as it wasn't shifting early enough logged volts too high when I tested WOT on the same back road. I thought with the beautiful gear shifts it has now under normal conditions the WOT issue was sorted but nup.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ordered a new set of Johnson lifters today. Paid a deposit and now wondering if I should have waited. Stupid TPS issue needs fixing but I don't know where to take it, since trans tech won't book me in and auto electrician appears to not know enough since they fitted the new TPS and I'm still having problems.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just tweak the TPS, loosen the 2 screws a touch and turn the TPS just a bit in the same direction as the butterfly opens and tighten the screws up again.

If you have access to a volt meter, back probe the TPS and see what the output voltage is when the throttle is fully open. Ideally it should be around 4 volts IIRC.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH Mort, I'd rather just pay someone to sort this, if I can find a competent person, other than my trans tech? I'm a bit over it. I've fluffed around for hours since this issue first appeared. I tried adjusting it with the old ones to no avail. It was absolutely fine until I had problems with the first Delphi TPS I bought at Repco, less than six months ago. Yes I have had TPS' fail a few times but they normally had no issues for 12 or so months. When the TPS failed those other few times it was total failure none of this high voltage thing that's now going on. And each time I replaced it it would go great until catastrophic failure occurred again. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the TB, since the issue is minor, and I now have a US made sensor and not Delphi junk, or eBay junk.
Annoying as it is, I may just have to live with it until I can get the trans tech to look at it. I don't want to damage my AC Delco unit as it took over a week to arrive and a mate got for me at a very decent price, probably close to half of what the stealer would charge. Considering AC Delco seem to be the only OEM available now I don't want t to risk the ute off the road for over a week because I damage it.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
TBH Mort, I'd rather just pay someone to sort this, if I can find a competent person, other than my trans tech? I'm a bit over it. I've fluffed around for hours since this issue first appeared. I tried adjusting it with the old ones to no avail. It was absolutely fine until I had problems with the first Delphi TPS I bought at Repco, less than six months ago. Yes I have had TPS' fail a few times but they normally had no issues for 12 or so months. When the TPS failed those other few times it was total failure none of this high voltage thing that's now going on. And each time I replaced it it would go great until catastrophic failure occurred again. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the TB, since the issue is minor, and I now have a US made sensor and not Delphi junk, or eBay junk.
Annoying as it is, I may just have to live with it until I can get the trans tech to look at it. I don't want to damage my AC Delco unit as it took over a week to arrive and a mate got for me at a very decent price, probably close to half of what the stealer would charge. Considering AC Delco seem to be the only OEM available now I don't want t to risk the ute off the road for over a week because I damage it.
Hey losh1971. What tb have you got on it atm a v6 or v8 one?