Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In another thread I asked about cutting compound and have decided on Meguiar's. Found the cheapest place is eBay at $27 with (PULL5) code so gonna order some in the next couple of days. In the top pic you can see a metal angle bracket. Not sure why it is there. But I plan to remove it as it looks bodgy. I was using it to anchor the end of the tarp cord. But I have decided to get two cup head bolts in galv and mount them on the lip of the tub up near the front. It will look a hole lot neater and also be easier than reaching into the centre of the tub to hook the loop of the tarp cord on. I will post a pic once I get them fitted.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180516_162847.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I paint the corner panel all nice and white. Looks good and then I have a bo=peep and a tiny bug has landed on it, because it was getting dark. Stupid me picks the bug off and then hits it with a bit more white.... Should have just left it because it's getting a proper coat of white when I buy the right colour. What happens, yepp I get a run. I have done the same thing before and obviously I didn't learn. Too much of a damn hurry to get the panel back on. Now I have to wait another 40mins and wet 'n dry the runs and repaint it..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bloody bugs are always keen to land on fresh paint jobs

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Need to wet rub the bottom edges of the panel as i layered the paint on fairly well because it was only pressure pack so mostly thinners. It has a little bit of a wavey edge in a couple of spots but a rub will sort that. Then with the final coats it should come up even better. I got a tiny bit of peeling when I removed the tape on the black knob but its easy to fix when the final paint happens. Even so its a hundred times better than it was.
20180516_214118.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just onto some more touch up work on the body. I have now removed all the silicone from the sailplane. Ended up having to sand the edge of the roof where it meets the plane to be able to remove all the silicone. Also ground out the cracks in the plane to ensure I have no silicone in there. Now I have to decide the best way to repair it. The plane appears to be made of fibreglass. Therefore I'm thinking I might get a sheet of mesh so the cracks don't reappear. It will mean however trying to get the fibreglass as thin as possible so I don't have too much hassle in feathering it out. While I was on the grinder I wire brushed the left hinge area on the tailgate. I ended up removing the tailgate seal and noticed it was full of dirt. That probably explains why I was getting some surface rust along the whole edge of the body. I have ground it out now and just etched it. Gonna then hit it with some primer and top coat it tonight if the weather doesn't drop too much.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180517_153135_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180517_153118_resized.jpg
    20180517_153118_resized.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 223

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180517_153127_resized.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the white paint on just before we went out and it seems to have dried ok. I had a look at the seal and it was really grotty. I gave it a blast with the hose and a scrub with steel wool. I still think there might be dirt in the groove so I am soaking it in a bucket of soapy water. Then I will hit I with the hose again after an hour or so. Really want to get it clean tonight so it has time to dry tomorrow as I won't get home from work until around 4.30-5.00.
I should be picking up a buffer tomorrow which means I am getting close to being able to cut the paint. Gonna start with the sides and bonnet as I don't have fresh paint on those areas. It will be good too because I have a painted patch on the bonnet where we had to repair a dent, made when the strut top busted through, when I hit a pot hole and the shock rod was forced up and if I'm lucky the paint might be a pretty close match once I get some shine into it.