Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Only thing is it will only ever be insured for third party property though, being a repairable write-off...
On the mainland, to return a repairable write off to the road requires a vehicle engineering inspection, which includes checking repairs (so you must take lots and lots of pics as proof of how it was repaired), vehicle identity and other aspects. Such engineering inspections are around $1k so you need to factor that cost.

As such, the engineering inspection verifies the repaired vehicle safety so I can‘t see why an insurance company won’t then comprehensively insure it. Yes, the insurance company may still want to inspect it themselves but the engineering process ensures repairs are done to industry standards so the insurance company must suck it up and insure.

I’d think the little island would be much like the mainland in these regards.

PS: Tassi rego written off vehicle FAQ below
https://www.transport.tas.gov.au/ve...ons_ambris/written-off_vehicles_register_faqs

PPS: if you can’t get comp insurance, do you really want to fix the bus since you may be involved in another at fault prang. But this time you’d be in a situation where you’d loose much more the second time around. Is that something you’d want to risk?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am surprised they are taking so long to decide what they are doing with it.
I know..... And this is the thing that makes it very difficult to decide what to do.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thing I'm not sure is if the VS can have AC put back on and still keep the turbo. That would be a definite deciding factor. In Tas you need AC all year round. Warm in the summer but with such cold winters the windows fog up without AC running when the heater is on.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
The AC do more than putting out cold air, also works as a dehumidifier. Not only prevent the windows from fogging but prevent the musty/moldy smell cars get.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am surprised they are taking so long to decide what they are doing with it.

As for the VS....Suggestions have been made, but ultimately the end decision is upto you.....I know when I bought my current VC, I bought it as a rolling shell...My previous one had been written off...So doing all the parts swapping made it easy + adding in other things that I didn't with the previous one...And even to this day, I am still adding odds and ends into the current one but not stuck having to have it done in a short time frame
I have been told I should have an answer by Friday this week as to what will happen. More I have been thinking and talking to some people at work it's highly likely the AC comp won't fit with that big turbo. This pretty much rules it out as AC is a must around here. I can't find any other VR or VS for sale in Tas so hopefully mine gets repaired.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I have been told I should have an answer by Friday this week as to what will happen. More I have been thinking and talking to some people at work it's highly likely the AC comp won't fit with that big turbo. This pretty much rules it out as AC is a must around here. I can't find any other VR or VS for sale in Tas so hopefully mine gets repaired.

Have you considered a V8, or even a newer model?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you considered a V8, or even a newer model?

Yep have considered a newer model but they are around $12k and up, even V6 VF are around $12k asking and very little to choose from. There are limited options unless you get into the $20k plus price bracket. If mine is written off I will end up with around $6k and there is only one option in that price range and it's not suitable. V8 would be preferred but they are asking $20k plus for a V8 and if going anything newer I'd probably want V8 or at least L67. Would not consider Alloytec at all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I know of early model V8 engines that have the air con compressors dead smack in the middle of the V......Any fabricator could make up a bracket to mount the alternator on with the air con and still keep the turbo....
1617705514528.png

But hey, will leave it upto you which direction you'll head....Hopefully they fix your bus

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm pretty certain the turbo VS is not for me. It's the most budget form of pov pack, it's a Holden badge and not even a Commodore like mine. It would be too much work to get it where I would need it. And TBH I don't want to spend 80hrs swapping everything over when the price is $6k. It would need to be $4k or less for that bus. If it needs paint it's more than double those hours of my time, not including the $500 in paint and gear.
The whole dash needs to come out to refit the AC as the evap has been exposed for no idea how long, custom AC pipework is not cheap over here. A compressor is $800 - $900. I could be up for $2.5-3k just to get the AC working again. Then I'd have to find an auto and get it rebuilt and fitted. Then I have to try and find a cruise harness and make that work, providing my module is the same as Series II VS.

The turbo VS would leave me no change out of $12k by the time it's sorted. I have knee problems that are getting worse the older I get and gear shifting would just exacerbate that over time. Sometimes I have trouble walking.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'm pretty certain the turbo VS is not for me. It's the most budget form of pov pack, it's a Holden badge and not even a Commodore like mine. It would be too much work to get it where I would need it. And TBH I don't want to spend 80hrs swapping everything over when the price is $6k. It would need to be $4k or less for that bus. If it needs paint it's more than double those hours of my time, not including the $500 in paint and gear.
The whole dash needs to come out to refit the AC as the evap has been exposed for no idea how long, custom AC pipework is not cheap over here. A compressor is $800 - $900. I could be up for $2.5-3k just to get the AC working again. Then I'd have to find an auto and get it rebuilt and fitted. Then I have to try and find a cruise harness and make that work, providing my module is the same as Series II VS.

The turbo VS would leave me no change out of $12k by the time it's sorted. I have knee problems that are getting worse the older I get and gear shifting would just exacerbate that over time. Sometimes I have trouble walking.
I know of a VZ Crewman that will be up for sale soon. ;)