Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have spoken to the assessor and its pretty much official, the ute is a write-off. I am just waiting now for the pay out. I bought the ute back and will park it in my new shed, while I decide if I will keep it for spares or part it out.
Sad it’s been write-off but curious if the ute‘s VIN was entered into the WOVR and also curious how they valued the wreck.
... The other thing is I don't have to cancel reg I don't think, due to its age. This means technically I should be able to get third party property and a wheel alignment and drive it for a bit.
... I'm not even sure if it can be legally driven once they log it a a repairable write off.
WOVR is normally used for cars aged 15 year or less. As your ute is older than that, the insurance company may not need to have your ute’s VIN entered into WOVR as a statutory write-off. Normally insurance companies also cancel rego on wrecks but not always remove rego plates in their haste to minimise their loss..

So, I’d confirm with Transport services whether your ute is still registered and whether it’s listed within the WOVR. Id also ask the same of the insurance company (as enteries may take a while to propagate through to the tassi rego systems...

If you’re lucky, it won’t be defined as a writeoff and rego will still be valid. In such case, your able to drive the vehicle as long as it’s still roadworthy (brakes, suspension, lights, etc still serviceable) ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can check online next week re it's status. I got the impression he wasn't going to cancel the reg.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm almost considering selling it as is and seeing what I can get. In some ways I dont want to keep looking at it .

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It won't be lodged as it's over 15 years old as such all VR~VS cars here are marked as WOVR N/A.

Castor is adjustable via spacer washers used on either side of the Lower Control arm bush where the Z bar goes through it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Fix suspension then get wheel alignment.

Belt whatever damage out to get bar back on to look like normal car...then drive or sell.

Be easier to repair now that you crunched it as less care given...don't forget to do burnouts n silly stuff for the fond memories.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It won't be lodged as it's over 15 years old as such all VR~VS cars here are marked as WOVR N/A.

Castor is adjustable via spacer washers used on either side of the Lower Control arm bush where the Z bar goes through it.
Fix suspension then get wheel alignment.

Belt whatever damage out to get bar back on to look like normal car...then drive or sell.

Be easier to repair now that you crunched it as less care given...don't forget to do burnouts n silly stuff for the fond memories.
I'm kinda thinking if indeed the rego is not cancelled, as I think it won't be, I might look at giving it a rough repair myself. I have a rusty old reo bar I can replace the current one with, or I can buy a new aftermarket one of FB for $30, but I might be better off fixing it cheap as possible.

Plan is to see if it still has rego this Sunday and unbolt what's left of the bullbar and get the bar cover off and and fit another reo bar. If I replace the reo bar I might be able to get the heat gun on the bar cover and push out the dents, while it's off and get it looking rough but sorta ok.

Thinking about what VSL said and if I can find a place willing to pack the Z bar with washers and get the wheel alignment reasonable that might help a bit. The badge I will just rip off. I wont be too fussy and if I can get it steering ok, even though it's not too bad now but be good if can get it improved. Then I need to see if I can get third party property as I can't risk driving it without.

The days of Losh's ute build will come to an end but I will post up some pics once I get a proper look at it. It won't be getting a bullbar again as $750 is too much on what will be a rough old ute.

I may consider selling some of my upgrade parts, and some of the parts that I have restored and putting on my spares that have less value, especially since those parts can no longer be insured. Certainly for the exterior parts this is probably a good idea as the interior won't get damaged.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you really have to, the best option would be to attempt to straighten the rail and hope that improves the driveability.....

Yeah, the suggestions of caster adjustment are worthy, however that bent rail is the main problem to overcome to get it driving straight....

Anyways leave it upto you which direction you head....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Once I get the bar cover and reo bar off I will have a better idea on how to proceed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

There was also another video I can’t find where some aussie was using a chain and tractor to do a series of short sharp pull on the front bar to straighten things out :p

Then there is @Fu Manchu‘s post which contains a couple of videos on a later model commodore home repair here :eek:

Be inspired... be very inspired :p