Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just noticed I need two new tyres. The ones on the rear have had some damage to the treads chunks out of them, where it slid sideways.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just washed the tonneau cover as it had mud patches on it , on both sides and cleaned out the leaves and mud in the tub. Starting to look better than it did a few days ago. Something I noticed today was the notchy left door has been sorted. I wonder if removing the reo bar has helped release some tension? Because even a few days ago it still had a little notchiness on the catch.

One thing though the tonneau has dirt in the surface that doesn't come off with car wash and water. Not sure what to use to get the fine mud off it, but if anyone has tips I'm all ears. This has been an issue with all three soft covers I've had.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Something I noticed today was the notchy left door has been sorted. I wonder if removing the reo bar has helped release some tension? Because even a few days ago it still had a little notchiness on the catch.
Which is why it can be helpful to carefully look at how the forces were applied to crumple the front, then pull it in the opposite direction before anything much is dismantled from the car.

With carefully pulling in the correct direction, not too much to over stretch things, you’d be surprised how much can be straighten up across multiple complex panels... If you disassemble, then these complex parts must be individually straightened (which isn’t as easy).

The real trick is to determine where to pull and in what direction. For example, if the front impact was just below the passenger headlight and pushing up towards the driver head, that gives you an imaginary line of force... Pulling opposite along this imaginary line, from below the headlight will do wonders...

I’m no panel beater but have used such methods on 2 lightly damaged cars as a temporary fix until they could be correctly fixed by professionals. The results were great and both friends were very pleased. One in particular was hardly noticeable to the guy who previously restored it (the paint had cracked in one location on the front fender which was the only obvious sign) :cool:

In your particular case, you also need to look at the rear suspension mounting points as they may have copped a whack during your 10/10 pirouette routine... Don’t just focus on the front o_O

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, thanks Skylarking. I will ask the panel beater to check it out front and back when he gets on the chassis machine. I have only removed what had to come off before it can be repaired. the reo bar fell off once I took the left side bolts out, to get the remaining piece of bull bar off as it ripped the bolts out of the weld nuts on the right side.

Not planning on taking the guards off as they need to remain in place to see if the top of the nose is shunted over or if the big gap on the left side is just a bent guard. I don't think it is shunted because if it was I'd say the bonnet would be hard to open, which it's not.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ute is being picked up Friday arvo this week to have the chassis straightened. Once I get that done I can figure out what next. Depending on the repair bill, will mean whether I pay someone to paint an aftermarket replacement bar cover or have to do it at home.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I will do, I have to take them for insurance purposes if I ever want to insure it for comprehensive again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What state is the car in now; registered but not insured?

How will you get insurnance as i suspect it will take a while to get it all back to pre accident condition and most companies don't like pre-existing damage or cars in the slow process of repair.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They have said they are happy to cover it with TPP and once it's properly repaired they will full comp it again. I just need to show evidence of the proper repairs. Yes currently has no insurance at all. I want to get TPP this week in case someone driving it hits another vehicle or something else valuable.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Good luck with crashed front end bent rails once straightened, hopefully they don’t make the dreaded crabbing issue most smashed front ends usually develop after any major impact, why most sell than keep any front end rail damaged cars. Crabbing is steering in one direction and having chassis pointing in another direction, bit like the understeer effect of front wheel drive cars or drifting, not a good feeling for a ute at speed in any high speed corner on any notorious Tassye winter roads.

So find a good tyre wheel alignment place cause your gonna need front end and steering to be good to deal with any crabbing issues chassis probably will show.