Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I know, but I can only do so much with my limited knowledge and trying to fix the same thing over and over unfortunately means bending over and taking it.
I've just lost all patience with it and I'm so pissed off right now, I just don't want to touch it myself.
I don't know whether I should carve it up and sell off what I can. Or go ahead with the chassis straightening and then just fill up the PS fluid, get it to the repair place and then to my block and worry about it later. It runs out of reg in a month so I need to figure out what to do fairly soon.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The other option is to simply roll it into your new shed and store it for a few years or so. You seem to have the space :D

Then with the passage of time, and with your new house finished, all gardens done and everything in its place, you may want a new project to dirty your hands... But if after some years you don’t want to go down that path, no doubt the parts or the whole car should be worth much more than it is currently...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have considered that option too. But would need chassis straightened before it's parked or it becomes a rigmarol to get into Service Tas for permits and that means taking leave because it's over an hour wait plus the walk.
I am leaning towards that option but need chassis fixed, just have no idea if it's $100 or $1000 to have it straightened? If I'm potentially chucking away 200 bucks it's a no brainer but if it's around a grand then that's a fair chunk of change for a body that won't have anywhere near that value, if I decide to part it out.
Keith hit the nail on the head. I have an emotional attachment to the ute, which makes it hard to know what to do. Whereas most people would just see it as a money making machine or spares for their own build.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's a lot like my house I built. Financially I could really kick some goals by selling it and wiping 1/2 the mortgage and only having one loan. But it's the 1000s of hours I put into it that make me keep it. The ute is only a few 100 hours but it's still my time and not just what I have forked out in labor and parts. Cash comes and goes and you know there is more coming next pay but your time you can't get back. .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
With the situation you are faced with, I'd be looking for another car, either VR or VS and spend some time getting the new car where you like it, before registering it....Don't put a time frame on it...Just do it at your leisure....

Reason I say those models is, you have the ute for parts, so costs are reduced already....Fair call, if you were to get a VS, engine and possibly trans are useless to use, but could be onsold to fund the new one.

Anyways, my 2 cents worth....Good luck with your decision

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
If there were going to be issues why was it okd for chassis repairs and the ute originally not going to be a total loss?.

Three separate crash blokes have said no issues fixing the damage. The assessing crash shop has repaired 100s of front ons. I assume achoo you work in the crash industry and not just using your guessometer with what you said, without understanding the minor damage in comparison to many that mine has?
Any damage can be fixed dependant on $ value, of course insurance, crash blokes, front end tyre and wheel aligners do their job, say yes all good no problem, we fixed the damage and out the door goes the vehicle for the owner to deal with any daily driving issues later.

No guessometer here mate, just experience from couple of claims with shannons from bad luck of hitting kangaroo and just clipping car which had no rear brake lights. I have kept the fixed vk minor rail damage car as dad bought the car new many years ago and small alignment driving issues are not a a worry, other fixed daily vy work ute had more issues with front end crabbing especially on country roads in this area, was the shits dealing with constant wheel alignment setup issues, getting the all good within factory specs bulshit from repairers so it ended up being sold for some else to deal with it.

Best of luck with your chassis repairs, you will not know if any front end issues until you drive it daily after all other repairs are sorted out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I have been messaging the father in law and said to him I really don't want to throw any money at it right now, I have too many problems that need to be sorted, these include, new Delco TPS not fixing high voltage issue at WOT, new lifters that need to be replaced, loom plugs that need soldering on, $470 worth of tyres inc the alignment, steering pump issue that could need a new pump, plus all the repairs needed from the crash.
I think I will leave it parked here where I'm staying and either drive it to my other house in the country or drive it to the block, and park it in the new shed, even though it will be in the way for whatever I replace it with. I'm leaning towards taking it to the new house and using premium shed space but at least I will have tools there eventually and can more easily find time to fix the things that I can do myself without spending much more on parts as I have parts to fix the engine and if I need a pump I can get one recoed at a reasonable price if I wait and don't rush out and buy a reco one from eBay.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
The cheapest way to fix PS may be new 'o'rings (providing housing isn't cracked) it would be what I'd try first, then if that doesn't work...a new pump.

Reactions: Lex

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
not worth spending more money on it now, park it, use the insurance payout and get a good registered driving strait donor ute and swap over the good parts to make 1 good ute, and sell of the rest, you won't loose any money that way and you can take your time and enjoy doing without all the worry and stress.