Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shame about the sailplane but good score with the bars.
Now you can carry stuff without damaging the roof.
Why are the rear brackets sitting so high? Shorly the angle should sit down on the edge of the tub.

I was a bummer it was trashed to get it off. But then again it was cracked in four places so probably held little value regardless. I thought the genuine ones were plastic and not glass?? So not sure if it was just a copy anyway?? As for the rear brackets yeah I'm gonna redrill the holes and sit it down on the edge of the tub. Only thing is I will need a 25mm packer in the bottom to get the bars both at the same height or the rear bar will sit too low.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I really liked the look of the sailplane too. But thats ok

Yeah me too. I seriously doubt the plane was factory because it was fitted fairly roughly. They cut a piece out of the tub liner on the tray lip to fit it, which I don't think would have been needed.
I wished I had seen the carry bars sooner than I did. Because I only bought all the gear to mend the plane over the last 3 or 4 days. I really need the ute to practical as well as look ok. It would look good with the rear angle brace fitted to the front carry bar but it wont be practical, I don't think. Plus I think the cover will be hard to fit if the brace is on. I might sit it in place and see how it fits with the tarp later this week or next week when I head home.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I was a bummer it was trashed to get it off. But then again it was cracked in four places so probably held little value regardless. I thought the genuine ones were plastic and not glass?? So not sure if it was just a copy anyway?? As for the rear brackets yeah I'm gonna redrill the holes and sit it down on the edge of the tub. Only thing is I will need a 25mm packer in the bottom to get the bars both at the same height or the rear bar will sit too low.
I'd recon factory hsv were plastic ( not going to sand mine at this point in time to find out) .I do know my bumper bar and grill are plastic.
Did your sailplane have hsv molded into the drivers side arm just above the tub edge .
That's what got some places in sxxt back in the 90s , they just moulded the original bumper bar and so their copies had hsv moulded into them .

If back bar sits lower it'll help with clearance to the roof.
Think mine on my vr ( and then fitted them to my vs s pack) sat a little bit lower .
Do miss that practicality ( although doesn't take long to fit roof rack to cab).
I had the rear part of the front bar on and got a custom cover made ( local guy , very lucky it was quite a reasonable price).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No HSV printed on the plane.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In the last two days my protective shield for the blaster arrived as did the tips/nozzles. Was thinking about blasting the Pacies ready for paint but noticed that they are slightly oxidising now that I have mostly removed the paint. I have therefore decided it will be best to do the final blast and paint on the same day. I ended up getting 1/2 a litre of pot belly black for like $16 normally around $36. That will mean I can put on a nice thick coat, much more than I could with flame proof coating in pressure cans, which are $16ea. Probably looking at taking a day off work next week to come home and get the extractors fitted, all going well.

On another note I have done the rough tidy up on the rear cab roof where I removed the sailplane. It looks half reasonable now but I am going to paint the whole roof I think. I can get a litre of Alaskan white for $55 at another paint place near work so I will grab that and a litre of primer and put a good thick coat of primer and rub that right back to the white underneath so I know I have got it looking really flat; then hit it with the proper top coat. Bummer I have to wait another 4 weeks before I can buff the bonnet and roof but I think it will be worth it.
20180523_155256.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180526_163712.jpg
20180526_163722.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wasn't happy with the small ripples the rear edge of the roof had in four or five spots, so I reprimed it with a can of SCA pressure pack primer filler. Actually surprised just how well it worked. I admit I was pretty sceptical about an $11 spray can getting enough thickness to fill but it did. I still have to rub it back to the white dust coat underneath now and then it will be really decent. I'm almost tempted to get two cans of Duplicolor in the GMH white just so I can get the job done. I reckon it would almost go on thick enough but I'll probably wait until next week when I get home and gun it in, at least then I can paint the whole roof. I have ordered a new gun as my Star has a damaged gasket and a rebuild kit was going to cost as much as it would for a whole new gun. Thinking I might have to make my own gasket and just keep it for a rough gun to use with primer or house painting, unless the auto paints supplier as a gasket that will fit. At the moment I'm waiting for the primer to dry so I can do the final rub back but I'm losing light so it may have to wait until after church tomorrow. If I was home I'd be in the shed working on it and I'd have it finished in an hour or two.
On another note I'm really keen to get the ladder racks on but I think it will make painting the edge of the roof too hard and I could end with a run in the top coat which would be less than ideal.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the front tub bar on today. I have teck screwed it on and just need to fit the two bolts. I've had a look and i think i should be able to paint the curve with the bar in place. So i am going to bolt it on properly this arvo. I also rubbed the primer back so all it will need before paint now is a quick rub and it will be ready to go.