Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Nov 11, 2017.

1. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    So , you're looking for a maintenance excuse to be able to do a mod.

Sounds like me and heads, cams and the new to me manifold I have.

2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I'm just doing a restore. Bike has sat for over 6 years without having a decent ride. It needed it as it was looking really shabby. All the polished ali had oxidised and frame paint was chipped to buggary. It took a few hours to tear it down but putting it back together will take me over 30hrs, as so many parts need cleaning, painting and or lubrication.

3. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Sanded ans painted the tub side rails today. Paint was all cracked so needed take it right back. Primed it up and applied some SCA, pressure can acrylic. I was going to buy a pressure can of Alaskan White just to blend in the colour. Then i checked and i had some thinned out Alaskan gear left over from the roof job. I blew in half a pot from the touch up gun. I only painted the Alaskan gear on the exposed edge, as the tub liner will cover most of the rail and i really didn't have enough to do the lot. As it is the gear i gunned in was 80% thinners. I probably won't cut and buff the rails in case i rub through the thin top layer. Being so much thinners it has got plenty smooth and stacks of shine straight off the gun. 20190124_125039.jpg

afstruct, VS_Pete and woteva like this.
  4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20190124_185145.jpg here is the finished job. Matches in really well now the ute has been pressure washed. On the weekend i will rivet the clips back on for the cover. Gonna leave the tub liner off for about 6 weeks to allow the paint to get nice and hard so the liner doesn't dig in to the paint.

afstruct, VS_Pete and woteva like this.
  5. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Nice, Alaskan white is a great colour , I recon.

losh1971 likes this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ordered these, thanks to @immortality and @The1 for providing me the details. As good as MSD but way less expensive.

upload_2019-2-7_14-10-6.png

VS_Pete likes this.
  7. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    but but they are not red ......red is faster ;)

woteva, VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So just when I was saying eBay no longer gives discount codes for car parts, tonight I see they have a new one and it works, 10% off. Decided to take advantage of it and get my braided rear lines that I have wanted for over a year. I wanted to add a few extra bits to the cart but I have spent way too much this last few weeks on cars, bikes and trailers so needed to let the plugs and front pads go. But I now have all I need for the rear brake overhaul and upgrade. I have two weeks off in April so I plan to finally upgrade the rears that I have been collecting bits for over the last 12 months.

UTE042_NZ, VS_Pete and VS 5.0 like this.
  9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Braided rear lines arrived today, yay, which means I have everything to completely go over the rear brakes, including shoes. I am now in two minds about whether to overhaul the rear brakes this weekend or wait for five weeks when I have two weeks annual leave. I'm keen to increase the braking efficiency of the ute but I am also mindful I seem to be having a run of bad luck, just stupid **** that's costing me money. First the strut top busted through a week ago. It finally let go after nailing a pot hole on a dirt road back at Christmas. Wrecked my nicely painted bonnet. Then I clean the engine and manage to **** a TPS. So now I am reluctant to try and finish the engine clean. Not to mention after day of fiascos this morning I reverse into star picket with 100mm pipe over it tonight because it was right in line with the windscreen pillar so I didn't see it. Put a line along the bumper end on the rear that I now have to rub out and paint. I need to think about the pros because I dare say a rear overhaul will make a fair improvement on rotors that have lips and really old pads of NFI what brand and spongy old lines and calipers that need dismantling and cleaning.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. UTE042_NZ

UTE042_NZ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 Magnum Ute
    Yea, the frustration of something going wrong as you hurry to finish a job because you're running out of time. I would wait until I had at least twice the time I think I will need.

losh1971 likes this.
  11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah I just don't know how long I need to do a complete overhaul, shoes and rotors, etc. Plus having not pulled the rear rotors off a Commi before I wont know if they slip off like the front or whether it's a lot of work getting them off. I'm thinking 2hrs a side but might be 3?

12. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Rear rotors slip off....They can have a habit of "jamming" on the rear shoes, which means hitting them with a nylon style hammer. Make sure you clean up the drum boss, so you have no rust or crud, which helps them slip off..

My rear rotors hadn't been off for a good 10 years and I was fortunate enough that they slipped straight off. And a little thing I do, which can sound stupid is, apply grease around the drum boss, once I am ready to put the wheel back on....Helps prevent crud building up and jamming wheels and rotors on.

losh1971 likes this.
  13. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    What is drum boss?

14. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    The hub of the axle where the centre hole of the disc locates. It's well known for discs to seize on the hub due to corrosion and they can be a mongrel to remove. Cleaning the hub with wet and dry and applying a smear of grease prevents it happening again.

VS_Pete likes this.
  15. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks for that.
    Any type of grease?

16. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    It gets pretty hot there so wheel bearing grease, with its higher melting point, is the best. Just a light smear around the hub after cleaning will suffice.

VS_Pete likes this.
  17. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Cheers

18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Well fortunately i had a flat today. I say fortunately because i just found out 15mins ago i have no material left on my outside pad on the drivers side rear. I now have to drive the ute 150km home, with less than 1mm of pad left on the rotor this Friday to overhaul the brakes. Really wishing i had somewhere to work on cars where i live in Town during the week, because I could work on it over a few days after work each day, instead of making a special 300km round trip.

19. Lex

Lex Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    Hi
    I dont think your going to go through that 1 mm of pad. If so, 10 trips home on a new set of pads would be metal to metal.

Weren't you going to fit the rear s/steel brake hoses & change rotors & pads last weekend?

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I didn't really have time this weekend and thought i will do it in a month on my annual leave. I had the wife with me and if anything went wrong we would be stuck out of town and unable to be home for the girls wheƱ they got home from their fathers. I reckon i have less than 1mm. It's almost on the metal. i also reckon i have a sticky piston or something as the inside pad has around 4mm left. Had i known they were this low i would have done the job late yesterday arvo and into the night and hoped i didn't run in any problems.