Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180527_144002_resized.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well i have everything i need to paint the extractors now. The gun arrived today. I also bought the 1/2 litre of white acrylic to paint the roof and the patch on the bonnet. Looks like i have a busy day tomorrow after work. Glad im leaving at 11. I have sandblasting to do and paint to spray. Stoked i can get this all done. Finally getting to the stage where I will be happy with the ute. Gonna need to find a new project soon because the house is almost finished as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been spraying the bonnet and roof today. Got it looking really smick and then a drip from the breather on the gravity pot leaves three blobs on the paint...... So I am now heating the shed with the patio heater so I can rub the marks out and respray the roof. Bit annoying because I have to get the shine over the whole surface. That means I can't really just hit the small spots after I wet rub them. What I may end up doing is putting a 90% thinner mix and try to get the edges to blend that way, see what happens. On a good note the paint is a great match you can barely notice the difference in shade and once I buff it I reckon it will look close as. I will pop up a photo later tonight once I get it all painted properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been spraying the bonnet and roof today. Got it looking really smick and then a drip from the breather on the gravity pot leaves three blobs on the paint...... So I am now heating the shed with the patio heater so I can rub the marks out and respray the roof. Bit annoying because I have to get the shine over the whole surface. That means I can't really just hit the small spots after I wet rub them. What I may end up doing is putting a 90% thinner mix and try to get the edges to blend that way, see what happens. On a good note the paint is a great match you can barely notice the difference in shade and once I buff it I reckon it will look close as. I will pop up a photo later tonight once I get it all painted properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just had a quick look at the blobs and they have almost disappeared on their own. I kinda though they might, because I'm using a 75% thinners, 25% paint ratio and layering it on until I get it to shine. I'm rather impressed with the guns I bought off eBay. I was thinking they might be crap and I would only be able to use them on the tail gate hinges. But once I played with the settings on the touch up gun, I can say it's as good as my Star suction gun.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180529_165641.jpg
20180529_165655.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the paint looking nice. Because I only bought 1/2 a litre I was getting low on paint and I wanted to keep just enough to paint the hinges on the tailgate next week and on the inside edge of the tub. Anyway I blew a coat over the whole area on the roof to fix where I rubbed out the marks, without leaving rough areas. Then I straight away applied a small pot of plain thinners to get it to really run together so I have minimal rubbing back before I buff. I wanted really smooth surface with virtually no orange peel going on so it's a lot less hand work. Next day or two I will wet rub where I have painted just to remove the rough edge where I didn't go over the whole panel. Then in 2-3 weeks time I should be ok to buff the entire car.

Original plan was to get the extractors sandblasted and painted today as well as the duco on the ute done but I've run out of light. I should be home again early one day next week so I will sort the extractors out then.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Looking pretty good for a shed job. Quite impressed.
Pics in my build thread somewhere for when I painted my roof.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Deuce. I think the key is just using heaps of thinners. My theory is keep it thin but add more coats so it blends together. I have painted a few things in the past, one being a caravan which I didn't get the greatest job because I didn't use enough thinners. Post a link of your build I would like to have a look.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
double post

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When I was looking for threads on the Alaskan White a few mentioned the shade of white being off. But the paint shop that tinted it for me got it spot on. I think with shine over the whole bonnet and roof it will be hard to see where the old and the new paint merges. I'm not 100% sure but I reckon it might be to do with the base. The tin I got said Valspar so I assume he used a Valspar white base and not just their can. If I need more I will be going back to the same place, that's for sure.