Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Finally got the Pace Makers fully fitted finished getting the Y pipe on at about 11pm tonight. Started work on them at about 2pm today. I had no idea it was such a big job. Had I had a hoist I probably would have saved 2hrs but had I not had a pit it would have been stacks harder and I dare say the job would have carried over until tomorrow. For a time I was actually thinking of doing it in Town at the wife's house. In the end I am so glad I didn't try because I needed so many more tools than I could take to her house. The rattle gun made it a lot easier to undo the rack mounting bolts and do them back up again. That drivers side is a mongrel to get a ring spanner nicely on. Without the rattle gun I would have needed a third hand to hold the spanner on the nut to stop it from spinning while I cranked up the bolt.
I still have to refit two plugs on the drivers side but I need to find out the gaps as they look at tad wide. Bosch Platinum plugs so it could be my eyes playing tricks as they have a really thin electrode. I wasn't able to gap them when I fitted them because I didn't have my feeler gauges with me at the time, so I had to go by sight. Tomorrow morn I will start it up and see how it is all going.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
lol Ive done it 4 times now on car ramps..chasing leaks due to dodgie 2nd hand extractors, last time I put the stock ones back on and gave up...can do it now in about 2 to 3 hrs ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All sorted car is up and running and so far no leaks from any where on the exhaust. Did a few five minute start up and idles to cure the paint and help cure the RTV. Next step is to have the throttle body cleaned and also have the two sensors cleaned that are near the TB. I could probably do the sensors and TB myself but I might just pay to have it done. I don't have any gear to clean the sensor with and by the time I buy some it might be easy enough to pay 60 bucks and have it done. Either that or I might save up for a bored TB. Next big purchase will be a CAI from Mace. However I doubt that will happen this year as I have a trip to Adelaide in Oct and I need to spend about $500 on the heads of my bike while I am there. Plus I still need to get the trans serviced and a trans cooler fitted and I want both done before I leave for Adelaide as I am driving over.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
After fitting headers it is hard to say if the power has increased as I really didn't notice a dramatic improvement from a few days ago; although having said that I didn't sink the boot in too much either. But one thing I noticed is I think my fuel economy has improved. From a full tank normally home and back the gauge will sit just under half by the time I drive the 220 round trip. Today upon getting back the gauge was sitting about 1 line closer to the full mark above half way. I will do a test in a couple of weeks when I refill it and stop on the way back and get fuel from the same servo. At a guess I think it could be an improvement as much 1.5L - 2L per 100km.

Although I'd only be guessing; I wonder if the new tune needed decent headers to get the most out of it. I know MACE say the real improvements in HP and economy will be noticed with 95 or 98, and a CAI. Gonna be interesting to see what gains in economy and HP I get with a CAI.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
ooooh....amphibious car.....can't recall seeing in pics of that mod o_O
Isn't a utes tailgate a boats transom, just clamp an outboard on , a couple of seats in the tray and you have a half cabin run about
After fitting headers it is hard to say if the power has increased as I really didn't notice a dramatic improvement from a few days ago; although having said that I didn't sink the boot in too much either. But one thing I noticed is I think my fuel economy has improved. From a full tank normally home and back the gauge will sit just under half by the time I drive the 220 round trip. Today upon getting back the gauge was sitting about 1 line closer to the full mark above half way. I will do a test in a couple of weeks when I refill it and stop on the way back and get fuel from the same servo. At a guess I think it could be an improvement as much 1.5L - 2L per 100km.

Although I'd only be guessing; I wonder if the new tune needed decent headers to get the most out of it. I know MACE say the real improvements in HP and economy will be noticed with 95 or 98, and a CAI. Gonna be interesting to see what gains in economy and HP I get with a CAI.
A couple of litres per 100 ( if it's at least that) is a nice gain on running costs .
Can't complain with that.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's got 65mm throttle body leave it as that's same as v8...after extractors/memcal/airbox the gains lessen per dollar greatly.

Main difference is improved economy & driveability over stock car...vp ute was getting 450-480km per tank on 98 untill clutch let go...if it wasn't for the genie extractors/y-pipe would have done clutch swap ages ago as not ready to do v8 conversion yet.

Steering rack out & car high off ground as possible on jack stands still a mongrel compared to doing it on a hoist lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Waxed the sides and back of the ute today. Used Bowers Carnauba wax. Applied it with a chux and rather than one panel at a time i just waxed the whole ute except for the pillers , roof and bonnet. I then used a new wool buff pad on the buffer and got it really nice and shiny. Didn't go too hard with the buff as i didn't want to take all the wax off but enough that I got plenty of shine. Gonna wax the bonnet in about 9 or 10 days. I am still undecided what to paint the roof with. Because I only need to paint 1/2 the roof i am considering getting a couple of pressure cans, just so i can get it done quicker but then the issue is the paint will be really thin compared to me gunning it on. Other option is i go to my father in laws place and see if he will gun it on for me.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ordered some Bosch rear rotors and a heater tap today. Still need to order QFM rear pads. Place in Adelaide has seal kits for 10 bucks each which is about an $8 saving compared to the Protex ones on eBay. I found before that the Protex dust seals are about 1mm to big and won't push into a VR caliper. Hoping this other brand will fit or it will be a matter of reusing the original dust seals like i did on the front. I want to get new front rotors when i head to Adelaide. But they have gone up from 27 each to 40 each. These are RDA streets, which are about 130 a pair on eBay. I replaced the old fronts with Bosch but im keen to try something a bit better quality on the front. I have found the Bosch are showing signs of wear and i still have 2/3s of the pads left. I think Bosch on the rear will be fine, especially when i fit QFM HPX pads and braided lines along with rebuilt calipers.