Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Finally got around to replacing the rear ext housing seal today. I was putting it off because I hate undoing the diff end bolts. Wouldn't be so bad if they were original but I had to replace them, and the nut head is 17mm and the bolt head is 14mm. So you have a mongrel of a time getting the spanner on and enough space to swing it with the muffler in the way. Be a bit easier if I could get a ring spanner on them but because of the big heads you can't until the bolt is 3/4s undone. Be even better if I could get a ratchet spanner on them but there is no hope in that. In the end I got there but not without a few choice words while working the on the diff end. I did start a thread about leaving the diff bolted up and trying to swig the shaft down and out enough but pretty much impossible without splitting the shaft and today confirmed it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well after fixing the weeping ext housing seal I think I might have finally got the ute where I have fixed pretty much sorted out all the major problems. One thing I did notice with the ext seal is to get it out do need to drive a thin screwdriver into the side where it touches the housing I tried for a few mins with just the seal leaver and found it too tight as the hook was just piercing the seal metal and not actually moving. But once I drove the side in a few mm then it came out easy as.

Haven't really given the ute a decent test since I replaced the manifold gaskets as last time I was up home the wife was following me in her car. But this arvo heading back to Town I had to overtake a ute on a dirt road on the first main hill as I leave Mathinna. Well I stuck the boot in and gee I was rather impressed on how well it got passed him. Looking forward now to fitting the Mace CAI when I can afford it and see how much better again it will go.

Also while I was over the pit today I had a look at the servo cover and it's a bit tricky to get to now I have the Pacemaker Y pipe. Might have a chat to the trans bloke who is fitting a cooler in a few weeks and see if he reckons the Y pipe needs to come off? If it does I will have to fit the Corvette servo myself as I don't want him to rack up too much time, where as I was going to have him fit the new servo and boost valve when he services it next.

On another note I am looking at repainting the whole bonnet at some point, maybe next year. I'm not real happy with the small section I painted and just buffed the rest. At first glance it looks ok but I am really anel and want it to look really good. So I plan to remove the bonnet and emblem and paint the entire thing and hit it with some primer as there a slightly shallow spot around where the dent from the strut was made and that was quite hard to repair given the metal stretched, plus there was some stone chips that are noticeable even though I hit some white over it, but some thick primer and rub back will fix it no worries. Plus the paint is a really close match but I can still notice the difference in shade when you compare the edge of the new against the edge of the old.

While I was at the other home I picked up my old lambs wool seat cover and brought that back. Think I mentioned I am going to see if it will fit under the new cover on the drivers side. I have decided that I won't fit a lambs wool cover on the passenger side as it doesn't get used enough.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Good to read with the paragraphs thank you :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So i started a job that i thought might be quick and affective. Turns out i need to strip the old paint, then etch and prime then lastly paint satin black. I rubbed the trim down but once the primer went on it showed up all the imperfections. Debating now whether to try and rub back to feather the rough areas and paint or just strip and start from scratch.
20180725_150243.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Why you paint your fire wood ?

Will not be very good when you set it alight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
She'll be right 5.0 it's only a tad and it gets burnt in the wood fire so any smoke goes up the flue. I needed something to lean it on so I can get all the way around it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just finished painting one trim, the drivers side. Just using black acrylic pressure pack as its cheap, plus it doesn't spray really wide like my main gun does. Tomorrow i plan to screw it back on after work as the paint will take a while to harden up given the temp has dropped to probably 6deg. Plan is to paint the small window trim on the car as its hard to remove. Also doing the same with the main window rubber trim. I could take it off but it might bend and not sit flat. Currently the passenger one cocks up at the back and doesn't follow the small window trim like the drivers side does. I tried hitting it down with my palm but it won't stay seated right at the rear most edge. Hoping that tomorrow i can finish the drivers side and maybe prep the passenger side ready for Friday. I've found it takes a bit of work to get it looking really good, a lot longer than i anticipated. Only thing I am unsure about is if acrylic will be durable enough on trim work. Probably should really have got a 2pac pressure can made up. But i will see how it goes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
First one and it has come up nice. I dont plan on buffing it as it is quite smooth. Just gonna wait 4 weeks and wax it for some extra protection.
20180725_173948.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did some more on the trims today. I have painted the ali trim that goes around the edge of the roof for the passenger side. I am now working on finishing the drivers side. Getting close to running out of paint so not going to be able to fully do the left side. I got the paint half price so need to wait for another sale at Autobarn and buy another can. I could have got both sides finished but given pressure can paint is so thin i have given it lots of coats. I am liking the way it is coming up so I'm gonna put another coat or two just to make sure i have a nice thick layer of paint tbat will hopefully last.
20180726_155119.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the replacement bonnet heat shield fitted today. I was planning on heading to Rare Spares to get the clips I needed. Then I thought I will just try Nuts & Bolts and see if they have clips. Sure enough bloke comes out what is identical to the original ones. Fantastic because they are 300m away from my work. Plus instead of being $1.10ea I got 14 for $8. Perfect, saved a couple of bucks worth of petrol plus around $7 in clips. Just for the record in case anyone else swaps over theirs, I bought 14 but I only needed 13 as I must have miscounted. Although I was thinking I may have been one short, because it's a tad hard to count them as they are not in straight rows plus all the dags everywhere because the old one was shot didn't help.
20180727_142953.jpg