Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I know that problem, of ongoing cooling system issues. The number of little leaks I had after I did a cam change last year! Even from joints I hadn't disturbed was baffling.
I'm guessing from your photo you mean the HSV sail plane (connected to the cabin roof and then the tray sides. ). If it's plastic it therefore should be a genuine HSV one and worth a bit of money and I wouldn't damage it any more . You could get a single roof rack for cab and then there is is a couple of different options for racks at back of tray. If you have a tow bar, there is a post and bar that attaches to tow bar . Or there is bolt in brackets that a removable bar attaches to. I have the later, I can take photos and post tomorrow if you're interested in seeing them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah i reckon it is genuine. It has a crack in the front and the back. I don't particularly like it. I think it looks weird. Didn't know it would be worth anything especially with the cracks. I would like to see your set up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Would it devalue the sail plane if i squirted in some expanda foam? Needs to be filled with something inside near the top cracks, plastic repair bog. Will add a fair bit of weight since it would need pushing right in to prevent further cracking.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can't hurt trying to repair it. You would think it'd be worth less damaged, probably worth nothing totally broken.
Have seen a few for sale but didn't pay enough attention to remember how much.

https://i.imgur.com/dPbVOSG.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/4lMx6Zc.jpg[/img]']

The brackets pick up two of your existing bolt holes

https://i.imgur.com/DgkYLYv.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/3d0ELh5.jpg[/img]']

Could also try this , don't know how sturdy they are but I've seen afew around.
Rhino Rack T-Load Tow Ball Mount

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What's the ally rack and brackets worth?that would be the go.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can't remember what I paid for mine, bit irrelevant as I got when I bought my first commodore ute and that was a bit over 15 years ago .
I'd imagine now it would be a custom order/ especially made, so unless you can find a second hand one I'd say the tow bar mounted T is going to be way cheaper . Don't know how much load you can put on them and I'd imagine you'd have to be more careful.
I'd say have a chat with a place that does them what other options there are

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might have to look at getting something made.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you plan on keeping the ute for a fair time and using ladder racks a lot then you won't be disappointed.
Obviously I love mine and have kept them and transferred the brackets to each subsequent ute, there's only been 3, but yeah so useful, nice and sturdy and only a couple of minutes to install and brackets don't get in the way

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had the trans tech service the trans and replace the solenoids today, just because I'm getting close to 200k and better that than become stranded. He said the box had been replaced at some point. Not sure why but could have been something to do with a busted connection running it dry as it's attached to the rad with hose clamps and cooler hose. Anyway he said it looks ok inside no particles of any sort and oil was fairly clean. Gonna get him to install a cooler next year he said $240 inc parts and labour. I thought that's fairly reasonable, $150 for the cooler but at least it will fit properly.
One thing he did put in was Wynns transmission treatment. He said he has had good results using it and has done so for some time now. I trust his advice because he is probably the best trans and gearbox tech we have in Tas.

On another note I started fitting my new central locking kit. Managed to get the passenger side done. But a 1hr job took me almost 3hrs. Really hard to feed the cable through the boot on the door even though I took the pin out to get the door to open up some more. Got it all done and then then I realised the door lock button was sticking up 6mm higher than it was supposed to be. Had to pull it all down again and adjust the actuator down so the lock button would go down further. Put it all back together and fiddled and farted testing the lock with my fingers and the bastard disconnected from the actuator as the ring wasn't holding on to the mech properly. Played around with it for about an hour before I got it working right, losing my cool and nearly chucking a nana.... Fitted the trim partially back on and gave it a good test giving it 8-9 up and downs and it still hanging on to the mech, so should be ok I think. Next to tackle the drivers door and get the unit powered up. Might have time tomorrow after work to connect up the power and find a place for the module but won't get the wires inside the door as that's the time consuming bit.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I bet your happy your a/c is working.