Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Nov 11, 2017.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20191229_143208.jpg Started work on the tailgate but it turns out i should have given it some more thought when i was in Town. I had to disc back some of the rub throughs because they had gone rusty. But i now have a fair amount of wavy in the base. I need supplies i don't have close by. I really need some thick primer and 240 wet & dry. For now i will make it look respectable and at some stage early in the new year i will redo it properly. The whole tailgate should really be done but I will leave that until I eventually sell my house and no longer travel gravel roads. May even respray the entire ute but will probably use 2 pac.

2. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    painting ute.jpg

VS_Pete and vs-lover like this.
  3. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Thick primer ? it's called Spray Putty Losh.

PS. BTW Nice Selfie !

Fu Manchu and losh1971 like this.
  4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yes I could use spray putty and I may but I would possibly need another gun unless I use my Star that needs a kit and doesn't matter if it gets clogged as it's just as cheap now to buy a new gun. I will probably use primer filler and not thin it out, hence thick primer. I only had some pressure can gear which is normally fine for small jobs and scratches but too thinned out for lots of build. I only have two good guns and one is a touch up gun, hence I rarely buy litre cans of primer as I don't want to be washing out guns and then blowing top coat through the same gun. I have ended up with grey splatters on my white paint before when I have done this, because I obviously didn't clean it right.

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Resprayed the corner moundings. That's all the painting i have to get done this week. Couple of hours and i can fit them.
    20191230_122705.jpg

afstruct likes this.
  6. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Time to give up your day job it seems !

losh1971 likes this.
  7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Got the mouldings back on and almost perfect I just need to rub an edge where the paint looks to have dripped. I had a good look at the tailgate now it's upright and the dents are fairly substantial. I am now in the process of deciding whether I grind it right back with a flapper disc and then probably get it paint-less dent knocked. It's either that or I roughly disc it back and bog it. Probably leaning towards dent massaging, as there is a tiny ding in the tailgate skin that needs doing as well. I have to take the tailgate right off at some stage as there is the beginning of some rust along the bottom edge. So I need to find some garnet or decent sand and hit it with the sandblaster. The tailgate is also not sitting quite right in the right bottom corner so need to have that manipulated before I remove it and give it a respray, that's if I decide I want it prefect. Only a couple of small chips in the skin so may even just leave it and just have the ding massaged out. I definitely want to remove the bumper corners, strip and repaint them they are looking quite shabby from years of abuse.

So in a nutshell next steps will be to repair and repaint the tailgate rail, repaint the bumper corners and get the tailgate sorted in the bottom corner. Then I should be right to roll and brush in the textured coating inside the tub. Then I have to decide whether I go for rubber tub mat or if I look at some marine carpet and cut that in, in the same shape as the mat would be.

8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20191230_164209.jpg Looking for some opinions on the carpet across the base of te tub. What are peoples thoughts?

9. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Is it going to get wet in there from time to time ?

10. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Clark rubber ute mat with holes if you don't want stuff or the liner to move. Gets wet.... dries out, doesn't trap moisture.
    If you want to slide stuff out, Lino / vinyl flooring. Easy to remove.
    Unless you have a hard lid or real good tonneau, carpet will be a PITA.

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The gear i am thinking about is a marine carpet, so will be fine getting wet. The test piece is the sort of gear they use on door trims. Bunnings sell the same gear in marine grade. I can get a rubber base liner for 136 bucks, marine carpet will be about 90 bucks. I was thinking carpet for the benefit of my best mate and it not getting too hot. I am undecided at this stage.

12. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    no

losh1971 likes this.
  13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    why do you say no Pete? As far as it getting wet I'm not concerned. It's more about having it look tidy. A rubber base liner will really tidy as it's made to fit, but hot for the lad. Be good if i could trial both options before fork out the coin.

14. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Carpet will certainly make it easier to move things in and out of the tub....but that also means things can more easily slide about in the tub.

15. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Are you putting your missus in the tray...… ?

No...….. it is your offspring ?

The lengths some will go to, to keep the inside of a car clean. :eek:

losh1971 likes this.
  16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have the ute box to carry smalls, tools etc. Things fling around if i don't have the locked in. I have a temp galv planter box liner that i also have in for extra carrying ability but it looks shithouse but does a good job of holding the grocery bags.
    I took out the factory tub liner because it was hacked by a previous owner. As far as carrying loads in the tub i rarely do this as it makes a mess I have to clean up. I have the ladder racks for long gear and the trailer for carrying loads, which does a better job by far.
    I'm kinda leaning towards the marine carpet, but if its looks shithouse then its a decent amount of wasted money.

17. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    X2

18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Had a good look at my corner mouldings and I'm really not happy with the final finish. They look good but I'm really anal and if it's not perfect i will never be happy until i get it perfect. I'm probably going to paint strip them and have them repainted by a panel shop.
    I'm also thinking of buying a new tailgate from the wreckers. As the rail on mine looks like it will take a lot to massage out the dents. The whole thing has tiny dents across the entire surface. I'm also thinking about buying a pair of bumper corners and stripping the paint and getting them too painted by a panel shop in 2 pac. I may just end up whipping mine off and drive around for a week while i wait for them to be painted, same with the tail gate if the one at the wreckers is too exi. My tail gate needs sandblasting along the bottom lip, so it could be just as cost effective to replace panels, depend on how much they want for them. I have a few spare bucks this week so buying some parts is not out of the question. If the price is reasonable it will be worth having spares anyway, as front and rear panels will be the first thing to become really hard to get in the coming years.

19. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Slug powered VZ, a VE Calais & your mum.
    Read that in 12th Man's Bill Lawry voice.

20. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Slug powered VZ, a VE Calais & your mum.
    My VP ute had trimmed marine carpet in the back when I bought it. Looked good. Previous owner also had wheel tubs covered in marine carpet. Stuck with velcro. Looked great.

I then got a tub liner and did marine carpet again. Riveted press studs on. Put push stud caps in the marine carpet.
    Things griped well. I also had a couple of tubs in the shed that had velcro on the bottom for when I really needed to be sure to not have anything slide.

Now in my Crewman, I am doing the same thing in the tub.

VS 5.0 and losh1971 like this.