Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Changed the fuel filter today and it was fairly dirty as the fuel dribbling out the entry side was quite brown. PITA to get the hoses to slide on. Had a saucepan of hot water but I had to heat it up twice as the pipe needed stacks of heat to get it over the flares enough and by the time I got on side on the other side was too cool. Also CRC didn't really help like I thought it might have.

On another note the central locking played up again. This time it was the drivers side. Fortunately I had a pretty good idea what the issue might have been. Last time it played up I reckon I spent 5-6 hrs diagnosing and repairing the issue. Tonight I went straight to the solenoid, with the batter charger and tested it. Sure enough it was an issue with the plugs. I was able to chop one off and fit a new female bullet lug. I only had one lug so I used a solder/shrink tube joiner on the other cable. All working again. I was kinda expecting it to play up eventually as I had to chop the plugs on the passenger side and solder them together, last time I had the same problem. Only difference is this time I spent 30 mins on the repair instead of 5-6hrs, due to the quick diagnosis.

I have a fair bit to do on the ute this weekend as I am driving to Adelaide next week and want everything serviced and functional.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Talking to the trans tech late yesterday arvo and we discussed what he would do at his booking for 10/12 this year. He said at the tim of fitting my trans cooler last week that the valve body seems to be ok, as the TC wasn't slipping like they do when the valves wear. What he did say to do was instead of reaming the valve body and fitting a bigger valve we are going to fit a stiffer spring in and leave it as is. This will mean less slip as the TC will lock up a lot quicker.
I am also getting a new boost valve fitted at the same time, but am leaving the Corvette servo as the costs will outweigh the benefits, so I am not going to worry about it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Prepping the ute for the trip to Adelaide Mon night and Tues. Gave it a service and checked over the brakes, looks like I have another 10k in the fronts. I checked the rears not long ago and didn't bother checking them today as I have almost everything for the rear brake overhaul, which will be done early next year.
Front wheel bearings checked out smooth, which is good as it's too late to get them fitted now anyway as they wouldn't arrive until Mon and I would have to drive 100km to even order them, as they won't order until paid for.
I pumped up the spare as I won't be carrying my 12v compressor, as I need to save space. Hopefully I won't get a puncture because I don't think the spare is the same OD as the ones that are on the ute. I would normally fix my own punctures but again need space to bring gear back from SA.
I went to grease the uni's but looks like I need a special grease gun nozzle (if I can get one) to achieve that. So they remain ungreased. Just want to clean up the door hinge pillars as I oiled the hinges and now dirt has built up from the oil overflow.
Then all I need to do is make a carry rails out of some timber and secure them to my carry bars as I have to support the chairs I plan on bring over on my return trip.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hope you sealed all the holes in the floor....Oh and dont forget your water wings :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Started fitting the new Stato trims. I found a few cracks in the drivers side that I have mended with JB. I'm just eating for it to set another couple of hours before I attempt to hang it. I could try but every time I have been impatient it breaks away and i end up gluing things twice. I found out too that two of the vents are less than ideal and here i thought i chose the best four. I have some more in Tas so it will be missing two vents until i get back.
20181003_102045_resized.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dash mat in. Bought it a couple of months ago and had my mum pick it up in Adelaide. Got both trims on now. Just annoyed i didn't properly check the vents. Now i have to wait 12 days before I can have my interior all but finished. I could go to Upullit and spend 10 bucks but then I would have good spare vents that i don't need, so i might just have to live with it a few more days. I do have one last job for the interior and that is buy some black moulding polish and touch up the interior door levers.
20181003_211659.jpg

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Starting to look good dude.

I'll have to pull my finger out and put a few pics of mine up......

You do know, your next project will be a statesman dash conversion!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmm Stato dash, now that sounds like a challenge :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

UteBeautVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
Looking good mate. I need to pull of my wiper arms too, they are looking a little worse for wear. Also where did you buy your dash mat, it looks a bit sturdier then the ones I've seen at Super Cheap or online.