Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought mine second hand off eBay, for 15 bucks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another problem solved in about 10 mins, i now have working cruise again. If only every problem and repair was as easy as that one tonight was......:):)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Replaced the cruise cancelation switch. The threads on mine had stripped, meaning it was slipping in and out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Confirmed my booking for the 10th to have a stiifer spring fitted to the valve body today. Also while he is there i am getting a larger boost valve fitted. In two minds about going down the route of Corvette servo as the tech said its probably not worth the expense, as far as upgrades go and normally do this if undertaking a rebuild. Since i dont have to drop the pan its something I can consider down the track. Im not sure what is involved or id think about replacing it myself. I reckon the y pipe is in the way, so bit of mucking around, i think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just about to head out to Perth to pick up the ute from the trans tech. I had him fit a HD valve body spring and larger boost valve as well as a service. Pretty common for these trans to have valve body issues that can cause slow TC lockup, therefore the heavier spring should take care of that. Not real sure how a larger boost valve will help but it was recommended by JC members and the trans tech also said it is worthwhile. I'm not sure if I will notice any improvement in changes but at least the upgrades will help extend the life of the trans that was in pretty good shape for its age regardless. Trans tech reckons it is not the original trans the ute came out with. Not sure how he knows that but something must be changed from the one it came out with from the factory. I'm a bit nervous on what the bill will be. I really hope the price is under $350 but Id say that is unlikely.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well some good things, i found out that a previous person had actually reamed the valve body and fitted the heavy duty spring. That probably explains why i wasn't getting any slip whn the TC lockup occurred. Would have been good to know that before he removed the valve body but guess there was no way of knowing until he did. Bill was bigger than I hoped. Damn extractor Y pipe had to come off to get the pan off and it will be the same for every service from now on.... At least i can now get away with 50k services since the DX 3 should be now mostly swapped to full syn. Ended up costing $420. Not sure if I will have the servo piston upgraded this week or not now. Have to figure that one out in tbe next day or two.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update just drove 50km home and most of that 100kph zones. Well I thought it seemed to be smoother but not really knowing what a decent boost valve actually does, I just read up and yeah smoother gear change are what they say I should expect. It's actually really smooth but I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it or if indeed it was smoother but the info on the net confirmed what I thought.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good news, my boss got approval from upstairs to have me work yesterday and today in the arvo, not just the morn. Looks like the new servo is still getting fitted at the mech's workshop tomorrow. :):):):):)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack