Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bit of an update. For some time, like two years I have had a fume smell in the cab. Worked on it today but found out that I needed three different size hoses that wasn't mentioned in any thread I could find. Unfortunately I only bought 13mm and 5mm but I also needed a metre of 8mm. I mentioned in another thread that it turns out that the charcoal canister breather has two different size outlets, meaning you can not use the recommended 5mm as the line under the floor is actually 8mm. I now have to figure out how to adapt the 8mm to reduce down to 5mm to fit on the filler neck.

Why Holden would use two different size outlets is beyond me, :confused::confused: just doesn't make sense. The other issue is the 5mm pipe on the filler neck sticks straight out which causes the hose to kink, so I found today when I tore everything down, Which I suspect may have been the cause of the fumes. Not only was it not sealing on the neck because it was too big, it was also kinked.

I had to leave the job with the tank tipped up on an angle and not bolted in. I drove it with the tonneau cover thrown over the illegally thrown in tank to see if the hardware store had anything I could use as an reducing elbow, but they had nothing.

Thinking now since the only way to find a reducing elbow is going to be to have one made. So I am thinking and hoping to find some 5mm clear hose that will slip over the tube on the filler neck and also be a neat fit or close to neat inside the 8mm. I just need to make the hose 1100mm instead of 900mm. That way I can place a big curve in the pipe so it doesn't kink again. I was hoping that the job would have been all sorted this arvo but I need to make another trip to Total Rubber, which is on the other side of the city. I will have to catch two buses each way tomorrow after work as I can not risk the tank just flopping around in the cavity. 1, I could get pulled over & defected and 2 the ute could run out of fuel since the tank is sitting all cocked up in the cavity. Also could be dangerous if I was "T Boned" fuel could leak everywhere, causing a fire.

Plan is to get the tank all working properly tomorrow arvo. I have decided that I will leave the tub liner out for a while as I want to respray the tub rails as the paint is cracked up.
20190108_165733.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The different diameter hoses might have been necessary because the fuel entering the canister is both liquid and fumes but the return to the tank is just liquid. ((this is just a theory. I really don't know the answer).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You should be able to get a 8mm to 5mm tube adapter in Tassie or order online and then use a 8mm or 5mm elbow.

https://www.hampdon.com.au/reducer-barb-5mm-to-8mm
View attachment 203009

Thanks mate, I went to Burson's this morning and they have the same thing in plastic. I have come up with an idea. I am going to use the 1.2m of 5mm I have and run it down to underneath the tank. Then I will use the adapter plus a short 100mm length of 8mm to make it fit over the canister hard line. The 5mm is not subject to kinking like the 8mm is and if I put a wide bend in the hose, on the filler neck it should be just fine. This saves me a fair bit by not needing to purchase more hose.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
Dont forget to re-route your breather outside of the fuel tank well. I have a hole cut in the rear drivers side corner of the fuel tank well with a rubber grommet and ran the breather down and along the brake lines to just past the diff. This eliminates all fumes from entering the cab.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure what you mean @MR.HG if I reroute a breather then I would need to blank off one end as they all go designated spots. Are you saying blank off the canister hard line and just run the one on the neck to say behind the diff? I'm happy to be wrong but wouldn't the original set up with properly sealed pipes be just fine, no vapour smell?

Last edited:

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
There should be a half inch ID rubber line that doesn't go anywhere, it could be from the filler neck (little elbo) or the main junction where your pump screws into the tank, but the hose itself doesn't connect to anything except sit loose in the fuel tank well. It's a breather or overflow but from memory both canister lines go to the tank?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The 15mm yeah that has a spot on the neck and on the tank as it is a breather and overflow for filling. I only have one line going to the canister, the other two are, return line (I think) and main fuel line.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just about finished replacing the breather lines on the ute. I ended up needing clamps as they were all missing. Paid too much as i went to Bursons. In the end i used a reducing joiner down low with two clamps. I run a short length of 8mm plus a long length of 5mm. I put a wide bend in the top so that it won't kink. I'm just one hose clamp short, as the old one was a thin squeeze clamp and it was a mongrel to remove. Gonna head to the hardware this arvo and grab a worm drive one. Hopefully from now on i won't have any fume smell in the cab when the tank is full or almost full. At the moment I have a 7/16 socket wedged in the big breather to stretch it, so that it goes on easier, as i had to buy 13mm, couldn't get 15mm.
20190109_150709.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tank breathers are all done. New Gates water pump is now on and system bled. Here's hoping this time the pump will last longer than 14 months. Tool box back on. At some stage i need to paint the tub side rails. Need to do that before i refit the liner. Last three days i have been to the mechanics workshop hoping the hoist is free. Keep getting told try tomorrow. I want him to see where i am leaking oil. I would like to get the sump done if it is and i think i will get the mech to do the job. I believe it is just a matter of undoing the mounts from underneath and hoisting up the engine enough to slip the sump out. I may have another crank seal leak so might pay the 50 bucks and get that done too. What i really want to do before anything though is fill the tank to the top of the neck and see if i still have fuel stink. Might have to wait until i get paid next week, dunno.