Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
So , you're looking for a maintenance excuse to be able to do a mod.

Sounds like me and heads, cams and the new to me manifold I have.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm just doing a restore. Bike has sat for over 6 years without having a decent ride. It needed it as it was looking really shabby. All the polished ali had oxidised and frame paint was chipped to buggary. It took a few hours to tear it down but putting it back together will take me over 30hrs, as so many parts need cleaning, painting and or lubrication.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sanded ans painted the tub side rails today. Paint was all cracked so needed take it right back. Primed it up and applied some SCA, pressure can acrylic. I was going to buy a pressure can of Alaskan White just to blend in the colour. Then i checked and i had some thinned out Alaskan gear left over from the roof job. I blew in half a pot from the touch up gun. I only painted the Alaskan gear on the exposed edge, as the tub liner will cover most of the rail and i really didn't have enough to do the lot. As it is the gear i gunned in was 80% thinners. I probably won't cut and buff the rails in case i rub through the thin top layer. Being so much thinners it has got plenty smooth and stacks of shine straight off the gun.
20190124_125039.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20190124_185145.jpg
here is the finished job. Matches in really well now the ute has been pressure washed. On the weekend i will rivet the clips back on for the cover. Gonna leave the tub liner off for about 6 weeks to allow the paint to get nice and hard so the liner doesn't dig in to the paint.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, Alaskan white is a great colour , I recon.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ordered these, thanks to @immortality and @The1 for providing me the details. As good as MSD but way less expensive.

upload_2019-2-7_14-10-6.png

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
but but they are not red ......red is faster ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So just when I was saying eBay no longer gives discount codes for car parts, tonight I see they have a new one and it works, 10% off. Decided to take advantage of it and get my braided rear lines that I have wanted for over a year. I wanted to add a few extra bits to the cart but I have spent way too much this last few weeks on cars, bikes and trailers so needed to let the plugs and front pads go. But I now have all I need for the rear brake overhaul and upgrade. I have two weeks off in April so I plan to finally upgrade the rears that I have been collecting bits for over the last 12 months.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Braided rear lines arrived today, yay, which means I have everything to completely go over the rear brakes, including shoes. I am now in two minds about whether to overhaul the rear brakes this weekend or wait for five weeks when I have two weeks annual leave. I'm keen to increase the braking efficiency of the ute but I am also mindful I seem to be having a run of bad luck, just stupid **** that's costing me money. First the strut top busted through a week ago. It finally let go after nailing a pot hole on a dirt road back at Christmas. Wrecked my nicely painted bonnet. Then I clean the engine and manage to **** a TPS. So now I am reluctant to try and finish the engine clean. Not to mention after day of fiascos this morning I reverse into star picket with 100mm pipe over it tonight because it was right in line with the windscreen pillar so I didn't see it. Put a line along the bumper end on the rear that I now have to rub out and paint. I need to think about the pros because I dare say a rear overhaul will make a fair improvement on rotors that have lips and really old pads of NFI what brand and spongy old lines and calipers that need dismantling and cleaning.

Last edited: