Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I just don't know how long I need to do a complete overhaul, shoes and rotors, etc. Plus having not pulled the rear rotors off a Commi before I wont know if they slip off like the front or whether it's a lot of work getting them off. I'm thinking 2hrs a side but might be 3?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah I just don't know how long I need to do a complete overhaul, shoes and rotors, etc. Plus having not pulled the rear rotors off a Commi before I wont know if they slip off like the front or whether it's a lot of work getting them off. I'm thinking 2hrs a side but might be 3?

Rear rotors slip off....They can have a habit of "jamming" on the rear shoes, which means hitting them with a nylon style hammer. Make sure you clean up the drum boss, so you have no rust or crud, which helps them slip off..

My rear rotors hadn't been off for a good 10 years and I was fortunate enough that they slipped straight off. And a little thing I do, which can sound stupid is, apply grease around the drum boss, once I am ready to put the wheel back on....Helps prevent crud building up and jamming wheels and rotors on.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What is drum boss?
The hub of the axle where the centre hole of the disc locates. It's well known for discs to seize on the hub due to corrosion and they can be a mongrel to remove. Cleaning the hub with wet and dry and applying a smear of grease prevents it happening again.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for that.
Any type of grease?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks for that.
Any type of grease?
It gets pretty hot there so wheel bearing grease, with its higher melting point, is the best. Just a light smear around the hub after cleaning will suffice.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well fortunately i had a flat today. I say fortunately because i just found out 15mins ago i have no material left on my outside pad on the drivers side rear. I now have to drive the ute 150km home, with less than 1mm of pad left on the rotor this Friday to overhaul the brakes. Really wishing i had somewhere to work on cars where i live in Town during the week, because I could work on it over a few days after work each day, instead of making a special 300km round trip.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Well fortunately i had a flat today. I say fortunately because i just found out 15mins ago i have no material left on my outside pad on the drivers side rear. I now have to drive the ute 150km home, with less than 1mm of pad left on the rotor this Friday to overhaul the brakes. Really wishing i had somewhere to work on cars where i live in Town during the week, because I could work on it over a few days after work each day, instead of making a special 300km round trip.
Hi
I dont think your going to go through that 1 mm of pad. If so, 10 trips home on a new set of pads would be metal to metal.

Weren't you going to fit the rear s/steel brake hoses & change rotors & pads last weekend?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I didn't really have time this weekend and thought i will do it in a month on my annual leave. I had the wife with me and if anything went wrong we would be stuck out of town and unable to be home for the girls wheñ they got home from their fathers. I reckon i have less than 1mm. It's almost on the metal. i also reckon i have a sticky piston or something as the inside pad has around 4mm left. Had i known they were this low i would have done the job late yesterday arvo and into the night and hoped i didn't run in any problems.