Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ive never driven with pads this low before Lex, hence why I was thinking sht I'm gonna be on metal by the time i get there, might be ok then? I just know the nephew drove his ute a couple of months ago and the pads seized to the rotors somehow when they got to low. He was stuck at work and had to trailer it to a workshop.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Ive never driven with pads this low before Lex, hence why I was thinking sht I'm gonna be on metal by the time i get there, might be ok then? I just know the nephew drove his ute a couple of months ago and the pads seized to the rotors somehow when they got to low. He was stuck at work and had to trailer it to a workshop.
Your changing rotors & pads anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes but what happens if it hits metal to metal can they seize, like the nephew's did on his Triton.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yes but what happens if it hits metal to metal can they seize, like the nephew's did on his Triton.
You said it yourself, he is driving a Triton. You drive a Commodore. No comparison? HAHAHAHAHA:)
How does your nephew drive? Flat out every where? Then flat out braking?
You pulling that trailer of yours laden unladen?
If no trailer & your taking it easy should be okay?
When are you now thinking of changing them?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Gonna have to make special trip home this Fri try to not drive it this week until I leave. I don't have any work where I need the trailer this week at this stage. Trailer brakes at the moment are not functioning either, as I need to get a new line made. I will probably just be doing my regular work this week where I can catch the bus as long as I don't sleep in LOL. As the saying goes if it aint raining it's pouring... lol

I so wish I had a shed and pit close by. It does my head in when I have 3-4hrs a day when I'm sitting on my arse unable to carry out most repairs because all my tools and gear is 1.5hrs away.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Launceston. PM sent.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Losh. If you get metal to metal, you will hear it straight away. It won't seize, but will score the disc. As you're replacing them anyway, the damage won't matter. The braking will be slightly affected but the fronts do most work. Keep speed modest, avoid prolonged, heavy or high speed braking.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cool yeah replacing almost everything rear brakes, including shoes. If they metal to metal I will just take it easy. I will try and drive a little as possible until I sort them this Fri and Sat. Given how much they went down in a few months makes me think I need to check my fronts and maybe order some pads.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Right now I am arguing back and fourth with the seller of the Gorst coils who reckon they haven't changed the mould for the coils he used to sell and the ones he sells now. I showed him two photos old Gorst and the ones he sent me. He is trying to say there is no difference, but there clearly is a difference underneath. I'm hoping he is not BS'n me and has run out of stock and sent me some other ones from the factory next door....