Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not hard to do rear bearings and seals.
you should surely have something around ( improvise ) to suite pressing in and out ( can carefully cut old bearing almost all the way through to help getting off.
Yeah i have been shown how to replace the bearing and seal on a Gemini. This is much the same. Just not sure i want too..... lol. Those shoes take a lot of patience and not sure i want to do the drivers side if i can pay some bastard to do it for me and it not cost me much.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just fitted the middle braid line on the rear of the ute. Man solid pedal or what, engine running and some decent force and the pedal barely flexes. I now have to keep an eye out for leaks as the extra pressure will show up any week spots i suspect. Having said that i am very happy with the way it feels. I think emergency braking will be greatly improved now. Money well spent i reckon.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just drove a 120km back to Town. Brakes have improved a lot. Not so much on light pedal but if you give it some pressure as you would if you need to stop quicker than usual; that's where you really notice it. I suspect that if I ever go the VT front upgrade light pedal braking would also be improved but I'm happy with how it is now. It's a fair bit safer than before.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Fitted a new DFI and hi output Gorst coils today. The old set up was working fine but I want to increase my gaps to 1.5mm and with the Gorst coils this won't be a problem. I noticed the old DFI had no heat sink paste on it, so I applied a thin layer, about a tablespoon worth, hopefully it's thick enough to do it's job. I still need to buy a new set of Bosch Platinum plugs and have them gapped prior to fitting but they can wait a few weeks as I want to finish the race bike in the next week or two.
I still also need to loom at the leaking axle shaft seal and bearing but that will be a few weeks as well. Still undecided as to whether I slip the axle out and drop it off the have the bearing fitted or if I do the lot myself, or if I just drop it off and get a mech to do the lot. At the moment it's more of an annoyance that critical.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Why not ACDelco Platinum plugs?
The VS has Platinum plugs 1.1 gap and cheap.
I can only give you part number for the VS not sure if you can use them in the VR.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I priced up the AC Delco Platinum and they wanted nearly $20 a plug at Motor's. I get a set of Bosch for under $30.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Started the ute this eve and man those new coils made it fire in under a second. It sound like there was not even a full revolution before the engine started. It use to take 2 seconds so wasn't a long crank but I think the higher voltage coils must help with firing over what was in the bus previously, because it was like hit the key and instantly bang. Keen for some new plugs now with 1.5mm gaps and see how it fares.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20190417_152812.jpg
20190417_152805_resized.jpg
Doing a little panel work, plus some repairs, as I am on two weeks leave. I dented the sill a couple of years ago when i was stuck out bush and misplaced the jack as it was pitch black. Had to stick rocks under the wheel to get out. I did repair it a while back but noticed a few months ago it was ever so slightly buldged. Sanded the bog right back and then tapped it in about 1mm. I used a level this time to check for gaps and now have it pretty good.

I also mended the ding in the bonnet caused by the strut top breaking. Just using aerosol acrylic for now as it saves mixing up paint, plus at 8 bucks a can, the price is right. Also for ease of use and no cleaning guns the SCA primer filler pressure can actually works fairly well, for what it is. I have learnt something though. The directions say to shake the can up. This is ok but you need to leave it for 10-15mins before applying or you end up with aerated paint and bubbles will appear on the painted surface. Where as gunned paint you know not to shake it, just stir or the same thing happens. Never occurred to me before when using aerosol.

I really need to paint the entire bonnet but colour matched paint is rather expensive. Considering buying a litre and giving the bonnet a thinnish but wet coat and buying clear to build up the thickness. Although having said that the SCA white acrylic is almost the same shade as the colour matched gear I have bought before, from the paint supplies. In reality I could probably get away with SCA pressure can over the entire bonnet, because unless you take proper notice the guards don't look that much different.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So i finally got around to getting this little present from Mace. Also have placed a deposit on another little upgrade but won't have it paid off for a few weeks. It took some fitting as the online instructions seemed to be missing the final stages. I figured it out but not before undoing and retightening nuts and screws a few times to get it in the exact position to not foul the washer neck.
20190513_144756.jpg