Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Did you give it some?
Looks good

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah Pete, didn't even go for a test drive. Reset the PCM, made sure it started, then hooked on the trailer ready for work tomorrow.
Not expecting huge gains, suspect it will be a little more responsive and have some more pull. Once all the upgrades are done i will give it a dyno run to compare it with a stock build. I have some runner tape in the mail, which i will wrap the intake tube with , which i hope will also help to keep the MATs down. I have to have a look at my data logs and see if i have a manifold air temp reading. If i do i will measure again this week with CAI alone and then again with the tube wrapped to see if wrapping helps.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Here is a data log at 100kph the MAT sits around 43-44deg C. I will grab a reading on Wed or maybe tomorrow, the outside temp will be around 15 - 17deg. It will be interesting to see what decrease in temp I get from the CAI install alone. What I would like to do is find a left over R2 wall batt and wrap that around the intake tube and then the runner tape over that to hold it in place. I might have to keep an eye out for skip bins at building sites because I only need one batt and even a second hand one would do. I'm thinking the cooler I can keep the MAT the better torque readings I should get once I get it on the dyno.
Edit just checked date on data log and it was August last year. Therefore outside temps I reckon would be around 10 - 14deg. Probably try and get a reading tomorrow after I get home and unhook the trailer as the engine will run a tad higher while in tow. I reckon if I log data at around 4pm - 5pm outside temps should be close to 10 -12deg. Had I thought about it last year I would have checked the outside temp. So some things now will be using the guessometer to some degree.
upload_2019-5-13_18-16-53.png

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well just drove to work this morn pulling the trailer. The ute now pulls, on regular take off about as good as it did without the trailer attached. It's almost like the trailer isn't there. Where as before you really felt the extra weight. CAI has made a huge improvement. I'm actually quite surprised in the improvement it has made to the torque. I think the Pacies and memcal are really working now that CAI has been fitted.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I just got a mace airbox off a mate. Will eventually fit it to my vs - will be interesting to see what difference it makes. I'm not very fond of the look though :(

They could make them look almost factory imo

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update on the new CAI install. Drove back home with work trailer in tow and full of grass cuttings, even with A/C on it still had great pull and no issues going up hill sitting on 3k at 100kph. Really worthwhile upgrade.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I think the Pacies and memcal are really working now that CAI has been fitted.
Like I said when my mods were done they helped each other.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm now looking forward to the rockers like you have Pete. Would you say they also improved down low torque?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'm now looking forward to the rockers like you have Pete. Would you say they also improved down low torque?
They give an improvement throughout the entire rev range, because cam duration hasn’t changed but lift is greater. You’ll probably notice it’ll sound a little tougher too.