Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
They give an improvement throughout the entire rev range, because cam duration hasn’t changed but lift is greater. You’ll probably notice it’ll sound a little tougher too.
Will it go through more fuel?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They give an improvement throughout the entire rev range, because cam duration hasn’t changed but lift is greater. You’ll probably notice it’ll sound a little tougher too.
i was considering swapping the tailpipe with a straight through instead of resonator but am fearful it would drone.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Only if you put your foot into it more :p but I would expect any difference to be marginal for normal driving conditions.

i was considering swapping the tailpipe with a straight through instead of resonator but am fearful it would drone.
I wouldn't - they lose the deep throaty note you get with a decent single 2.5" pipe with resi and they become obnoxious and raspy. I had a single 2.5" with 10"x4" mid muffler and a 5"x14" rear resi and it was nice - didn't drone and sounded good for a v6. What system do you have from extractors back again?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Redback cat back, with fairly large rear resi.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah i thought removing the rear resi would have mass drone. Before i replaced the old cat back it droned like a bastard on the highway. Could hear it in cab bad at 100kph. Sounds much better having a resi. If i want note I'd have to drop in a 304.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I'm now looking forward to the rockers like you have Pete. Would you say they also improved down low torque?
What EYY said

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
it would appear so far that with the CAI alone fuel economy has improved. I'm only guessing but with a full tank the other day, i have now done probably 250km towing 700 - 800kg of additional weight and i am still on 2/3 of a tank. Previously i am pretty sure I'd be below half by now, hauling that much weight. I will do some better testing when I travel unloaded. But what i have found is that with the CAI i am using probably 20-25% less throttle and getting the same power. Now that's only towing figures as i have been working my other job most days this week and trailer is yet to be unhitched.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, here is the latest diagnostic screen shot. MAT fluctuated a bit but rarely went as high as 40deg. Average was around 37-38deg, which is roughly a 5-6deg MAT drop compared to the standard air box.
I did a run without the trailer attached and it's better than with the stock air box. It seems to shift better but extra grunt wise it's not as noticeable unladend as it was with the trailer attached, and running stock box. It's still a noticeable improvement. My next two tests will be with light throttle and no load, where as just now it was WOT where I could. I will also wrap the intake tube with tape and retest.
upload_2019-5-18_17-0-55.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So quick update. I have wrapped the intake tube and the MAT was actually hotter today than yesterday. However I think my testing is flawed as I spent an extra 15mins with the engine idling, while I got the software to sinc with the PCM. I reckon as a result the manifold had some stored heat that maybe I did not have yesterday. I did feel the intake tube and it was barely warm, so I would say the wrap is having some affect on lowering the temp inside the tube. Now whether it is enough to make a difference in the MAT over running the CAI alone is hard to say. Ideally I would go to the wreckers and grab another intake tube and doing the testing within a few mins of each other. I have raised the bonnet and am hoping to get the MAT temp down before I go for my next run in 10 more mins time. Ideally I think to carry out accurate tests I need to have the sensor located in the second elbow on the intake tube, but that is a bit tricky at this stage.